Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI audio on GA-MA78GM-US2H

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone has had any success using ATI HDMI audio?

I am trying to get a multi-purpose system setup (part of it will be a HTPC, but it will be a lot more) based on the GA-MA78GM-US2H Motherboard.

I have not yet been able to get HDMI audio working for it in linux, but video works with no issues that I can find. My research indicates that the drivers (proprietary or not) do not support HDMI audio just yet. The wierd thing is the device actually shows up in alsa as well as gnome's controls, however setting it as the default sound out does not appear to have any impact. Am I doing something wrong? Is something missing that isn't quite in the environment just yet?

Just to clarify, I am running gentoo on this system and have no intention of swapping to another distro as I need the control and performance from gentoo for this particular system.

Any help or even experiences people have had with any HDMI audio would be helpful. Thanks.

HDMI audio tends to work ATi cards on Linux with proprietary drivers and the open driver radeonhd. No support in radeon driver though. It should afaik work as is, however, haven't gotten to test since I don't have a monitor with HDMI support and speakers. I've really no idea what you mean by default device there but you can always try setting the movie player to have the ATi card as the output device and seeing if you can hear anything then. If the card appears, it should kinda work as is but you might want to make sure you've new enough a version of the display drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodyIron View Post
      Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone has had any success using ATI HDMI audio?

I am trying to get a multi-purpose system setup (part of it will be a HTPC, but it will be a lot more) based on the GA-MA78GM-US2H Motherboard.

I have not yet been able to get HDMI audio working for it in linux, but video works with no issues that I can find. My research indicates that the drivers (proprietary or not) do not support HDMI audio just yet. The wierd thing is the device actually shows up in alsa as well as gnome's controls, however setting it as the default sound out does not appear to have any impact. Am I doing something wrong? Is something missing that isn't quite in the environment just yet?

Just to clarify, I am running gentoo on this system and have no intention of swapping to another distro as I need the control and performance from gentoo for this particular system.

Any help or even experiences people have had with any HDMI audio would be helpful. Thanks.
      Which graphics driver are you using ? You need two things to get sound :

- audio drivers that work with the audio controller in the GPU

- graphics drivers which enable mixing of audio from the built-in controller into the video stream

As Nanonyme said, currently fglrx and radeonhd have that support (although I'm not 100% sure about radeonhd on HD3200/RS780), while radeon does not.
      Test signature

Comment

I'm using the fglrx drivers latest as of a week ago.

The device shows up in gnome sound control, but when i set it to the default device gnome uses, it makes no difference.

Strangely enough I think I have messed it up with some of my last work and I can't recall what I did. Now I am getting no sound from either source (HDMI or the regular soundcard).

Comment

Ahh I fixed my recent issue. I had messed something up in my asound config file. But I am still unsure about this HDMI audio thing.

Comment

hdmi audio

Well, i just got mine working. So here is the easy way, upgrade alsa drivers to newest, if your not seeing the card. For noobs like me, this little script did the job if you are not seeing the drivers
            HTML Code:
            http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810
            . second you might have to check the little iec958 switch under volumecontrol , pick your hdmi card, then preferences switches. You may have to enable the switches tab. Anyways That seems to depend on version.

Comment

I'm in gentoo and they prefer to have alsa in the kernel. How exactly do I tell what version of alsa im using? aplay --version just shows me the version of alsa-utils.

Comment

just googled that here's how

cat /proc/asound/version
                Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.18rc3.

Comment

how do i tell what version of alsa is being compiled into my kernel in gentoo using gentoo-sources?

Comment

Same as what jamey said. Works for checking stuff on the running kernel. If you want to keep with kernel stock ALSA, you can always try upgrading to a newer kernel version which comes with a newer ALSA.

Comment

Working...
                    X