100+ More ASUS Motherboards Enabled For Sensor Monitoring With Linux 6.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100+ More ASUS Motherboards Enabled For Sensor Monitoring With Linux 6.4

Phoronix: 100+ More ASUS Motherboards Enabled For Sensor Monitoring With Linux 6.4

The hardware monitoring "HWMON" subsystem updates have been pulled into the in-development Linux 6.4 kernel with ASUS Intel/AMD desktop motherboards being the big winners with these driver updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sensors/HW monitoring is always an area of welcomed additions. And as far as I remember a pretty understaffed area. And often suffers from a lack of chip documentation, too.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I think all motherboard companies are so shitty that none are better than any of their competitors.

Comment

Is Asus playing catch up or are they one of the leading mobo vendors for sensor enablement in linux?

Comment

Originally posted by mahurinj View Post
          Is Asus playing catch up or are they one of the leading mobo vendors for sensor enablement in linux?
          AFAIK this was made by the community.

Comment

I see my motherboard on this list, but I already have sensor support (cpu/gpu temps). Unless I'm misunderstanding something? Does it also include fan speed and stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Ah I see that makes sense too. I guess my curiosity is what is the state of other motherboards from other vendors? Like if I'm buying a motherboard and want linux compatibility where does one find that information?

Comment

Originally posted by mahurinj View Post

Ah I see that makes sense too. I guess my curiosity is what is the state of other motherboards from other vendors? Like if I'm buying a motherboard and want linux compatibility where does one find that information?
                For motherboards from the big 4 (Asrock, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI), you are left with a good search on the internet for other people experience in Linux. I had only see (official) Linux compatibility for pre-built stuff, like laptops and many forms of desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

To be precise Denis Pauk added most of the devices, but he built upon this work https://github.com/electrified/asus-wmi-sensors. Atleast that's what I'm deducing.

Comment

Any idea when/if they can add ASUS ROG X399 GAMING (a Threadripper 1 board, not basic Ryzen)? It is supported by the older WMI driver, and I didn't see it in this new driver. Would be a pity if this support got lost. Michael always announces how this new driver is better but I am not sure if it is a true superset of the previous WMI sensors driver (if it supports all boards of the old one and more).

Comment

Working...
                    X