Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Libreboot 20230319 Released With ThinkPad T530/W530 Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Libreboot 20230319 Released With ThinkPad T530/W530 Support

    Phoronix: Libreboot 20230319 Released With ThinkPad T530/W530 Support

    Libreboot 20230319 has been released as the downstream of Coreboot focused on providing only pure open-source firmware replacements to proprietary BIOS/UEFI platforms compared to all the blobs permitted in upstream Coreboot...

    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

  • #2
    Love my T440p I bought earlier this year from a German vendor with coreboot flashed. It doesn't show it's age (new display and keyboard) and I get plenty of battery time, esp. with CPU boost off in my TLP config, which also makes it more quiet under load bursts.
    Had no issues with suspend and hibernate that's mentioned in the article so far. Probably only existed on libreboot which I'm not using.
    The libre mrc.bin will need more testing, once it's stable I'll definitely ask the seller to provide an updated image.

    Comment


    • #3
      At first, I thought Thinkpad was released with coreboot -_-
      Last edited by mirmirmir; 19 March 2023, 11:54 AM. Reason: added "was", do you think article tittle grammer also needs correction?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
        do you think article tittle grammer also needs correction?
        No, but your edit sure does. ​​

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

          No, but your edit sure does. ​​
          Yeah, I'm don't speak native English, so I just ask, isn't it like supposed to be like past passive form like https://speakspeak.com/resources/eng...assives-tenses Tell me if I miss something

          Edit: nvm I was reading too much into it, I got so much going on today. Gotta have some rest now.
          Last edited by mirmirmir; 19 March 2023, 12:43 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Intel GM45-based ThinkPads now default to 256MB of allocated video memory rather than 352MB
            Presumably by "VRAM" they are referring to the stolen memory. At least for running Linux allocating anything but the minimum amount is a complete waste of RAM. The only things it really gets used for are VGA/EFI/fbdev framebuffer, and FBC's compressed framebuffer. For all of those one or two screenfulls of pixels is all you need.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ozzyozzy View Post
              Love my T440p I bought earlier this year from a German vendor with coreboot flashed. It doesn't show it's age (new display and keyboard) and I get plenty of battery time, esp. with CPU boost off in my TLP config, which also makes it more quiet under load bursts.
              Had no issues with suspend and hibernate that's mentioned in the article so far. Probably only existed on libreboot which I'm not using.
              The libre mrc.bin will need more testing, once it's stable I'll definitely ask the seller to provide an updated image.
              There is no free/libre mrc.bin.

              Comment


              • #8
                The model in the article is a T430, the 14 inch model. The T530 have a 15.6 inch screen.
                Last edited by [email protected]; 20 March 2023, 07:52 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  What's with T430, that should be identical in hardware to the T530, is it also supported?

                  Originally posted by ozzyozzy View Post
                  Love my T440p
                  Uh, that is probably the worst thinkpad I ever layed a hand on. Starting with that big pile of junk they wanted to sell us as touchpad, a worse keyboard, 2 batterys one can't be easily changed and just the whole concept of thinkpads being abondoned.
                  Just imagine what would happen if you get hold of a propper thinkpad.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Anux View Post
                    Starting with that big pile of junk they wanted to sell us as touchpad, a worse keyboard.
                    I bought it with the Synaptics touchpad which is awesome! The stock touchpad is terrible indeed.
                    I think the keyboard is okay; there's been a general decline from very early Thinkpads to what we have today. Looking at the most modern Thinkpads the T440p keyboard is very good, relatively speaking.
                    Originally posted by Anux View Post
                    2 batterys one can't be easily changed
                    Have you actually ever had a T440p in your hands? f you have said hands you can replace the main battery easily. Never saw anyone who used an UltraBay battery - I'd have to give up my 2nd SSD drive for it which is far more useful to me :-) In any case I don't have any trouble using the UltraBay either.
                    Originally posted by Anux View Post
                    and just the whole concept of thinkpads being abondoned.
                    Just imagine what would happen if you get hold of a propper thinkpad.
                    Not sure what value you're trying to bring to this discussion but that's complete nonsense. This *is* a Thinkpad.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X