Linux 6.4 To Enable Sensor Monitoring On More ASUS Z590 Motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.4 To Enable Sensor Monitoring On More ASUS Z590 Motherboards

Phoronix: Linux 6.4 To Enable Sensor Monitoring On More ASUS Z590 Motherboards

A simple patch queued in "hwmon-next" this week for the Linux 6.4 cycle later this spring gets motherboard sensor monitoring working on three more ASUS motherbards for modern Intel systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be nice if the 'sensors' command gave the user the option to display data in Volts or Volts & milliVolts.

I just checked 'sensors' version 3.60 with libsensors version 3.60 and there is no command line switch like that.

Some monitoring tools are confused by Volts & milliVolts in 'sensors' output so app programmers either have to compensate for it with MORE CODING or users simply have to live with it.

I would submit a new feature request, but that means getting a Github account or something like that. From what I have seen of some of Guenter's snarky public postings in the past...I'll pass on that effort.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
      It would be nice if the 'sensors' command gave the user the option to display data in Volts or Volts & milliVolts.

I just checked 'sensors' version 3.60 with libsensors version 3.60 and there is no command line switch like that.

Some monitoring tools are confused by Volts & milliVolts in 'sensors' output so app programmers either have to compensate for it with MORE CODING or users simply have to live with it.

I would submit a new feature request, but that means getting a Github account or something like that. From what I have seen of some of Guenter's snarky public postings in the past...I'll pass on that effort.

Patches are welcome. libsensors has been practically unmaintained for a couple of years already.

Guenter's snarky public posts shouldn't dissuade you from trying.

Comment

I'd argue that apps should use the lm-sensors lib itself, or in simpler cases just get data from hwmon directly - where voltages are in milliVolts.

Also, I really can't classify Guenter's comments as snarky - more like, curt & straight to the point. He's very busy, as all kernel maintainers are, and his emails are nowhere near some that I've seen browsing the LKML when I was bored.

Edit: also, in my experience - good code in, no comments out.
        Last edited by aleksamagicka; 11 March 2023, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X