Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TikTok Owner Bytedance Goes Big On Open-Source Firmware

Phoronix: TikTok Owner Bytedance Goes Big On Open-Source Firmware

TikTok owner Bytedance this week hosted their CloudFW Open System Firmware Symposium in Beijing where they celebrated the launch of CloudFW 2.0 as they implement Coreboot to replace UEFI...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At first glance this seems weird, but then when you actually think about it, open source is a nice platform for good support if it's handled well.

Comment

I hate TikTok but I really like this news!

It is a bit sad though that the only ones who currently seem to be able to get open source firmware are the tech giants, I wish open source firmware was more readily available for consumer hardware.

Comment

Can somebody educate me on this 'cloud firmware' what the heck is that?

I am looking at CoreBoot to provide a trustable privacy-friendly alternative to closed UEFI/BIOS. But this 'cloud' thing is scary. Firmware in the cloud? Like you turn on your computer and first it has to send hardware serial numbers to Xi Jinping to see if you have been blocked as a result for being critical about human rights? Is that the future? Or am i over-reacting like usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Velocity View Post

I am looking at CoreBoot to provide a trustable privacy-friendly alternative to closed UEFI/BIOS. But this 'cloud' thing is scary. Firmware in the cloud? Like you turn on your computer and first it has to send hardware serial numbers to Xi Jinping to see if you have been blocked as a result for being critical about human rights? Is that the future? Or am i over-reacting like usual.
          Found one.

Prolly they coreboot their server or something idk

Comment

Have a look at the article's pictures. Seems just like a marketing term and not at all cloud-related except for the devices that'll run that firmware.

Comment

Chill man, they're not even producing any consumer devices, it's for their servers and promoting open source boot is way better than Intel ME. And the only ones proven to have profiled every single person on the planet is the NSA.

Comment

Oh shut up

Comment

i wish they just disappear completely. thats how much i hate them

Comment

phoronix found a typo: firware

Comment

Working...
                    X