Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest System76 Intel-Powered Laptops Added To Coreboot

Phoronix: Latest System76 Intel-Powered Laptops Added To Coreboot

Merged on Saturday to upstream Coreboot was support for some of the latest Intel Alderlake (and signs of Raptor Lake) powered laptops from Linux vendor System76...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've looked at System76 in the past, and I'm pretty impressed. I feel like if they just had Thunderbolt 4 on the pangolin it'd be perfect for me. I need to be able to dock w/ dual monitors for my workflow and I have a Dell WD22TB4 I use with my current system.

Comment

Now I am waiting for the Framework laptop to get Coreboot, hopefully now they have the Chromebook version running Coreboot, they can get one out for those non-Chromebook ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael View Post
        Now I am waiting for the Framework laptop to get Coreboot, hopefully now they have the Chromebook version running Coreboot, they can get one out for those non-Chromebook ones.
        I hope framework will become mainstream product. It's our only hope to have self repairable costumer electronic. Once it becomes mainstream, other companies are sure to follow

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
          I've looked at System76 in the past, and I'm pretty impressed. I feel like if they just had Thunderbolt 4 on the pangolin it'd be perfect for me. I need to be able to dock w/ dual monitors for my workflow and I have a Dell WD22TB4 I use with my current system.
          I see what they are doing right now, they are skipping current Ubuntu release to focus their efforts into making a desktop environment. We're already past half time, and their progress? They have made setting app and a text editor, I mean, it's like someone who's learning how to program with a gui toolkit. Which is fine by me btw, but, to claim they've made a Desktop Environment is, kinda insulting people who've made one.

As for their hardware? Their products pretty much non existent in my country. Let's overlook the fact that it's overpriced, but for something that's advertised as linux laptop flagship, they could've put some effort to make it look good. Like, those are most generic looking laptop I've even seen. Although, I doubt that they could do anything about it

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
            I hope framework will become mainstream product. It's our only hope to have self repairable costumer electronic. Once it becomes mainstream, other companies are sure to follow
            Or quietly collaborate to destroy them.

...am I being too cynical?

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

Framework effectively hamstringed themselves by not using a common modern standard aspect ratio for their base model's display. Woulda been fine if they had gone with 16:10, sure it's niche but not so different from the 16:9 that most use, but they went with 3:2, a standard that they themselves essentially created (seeing as nobody else uses it).

Bottom line is most content is designed for 16:9 aspect ratios, if you're on 16:10, you can easily adapt most content to your display (sure you may have to deal with black borders but that's not s obad), but with 3:2 you're fucked, you'll suffer trying to do anything that's not reading or writing text on it. And everybody who realizes this refuses to use that format unless they specifically only want to do things that that format is good for.

The lack of GPU support also severely limits their marketability but that's understandable while they're taking off (if they manage to make hot-swappable gpus in laptops it's gonna be amazing but I still won't buy their laptops because of their stupid displays), there's more things I could nitpick at like lackluster screens (100%srgb is good, not great), it ships with windows (meaning u gotta pay for that (240$) or buy the diy version (which not everyone will want, why not have laptops set up with some linux distro, or do as many other laptop manufacturers already do: an option to buy it without any OS at all (and the DIY version doesn't count even if it technically is that, it's not 'just' that, sure I'd buy it if it had the hardware I wanted, but not everyone wants to build it themselves, me personally I just don't care cuz i've done it a thousand times before).))

Sure there's a lot of good things I could say about them, great even, but the biggest reason they're not one of the more popular laptop brands already is their stupid screen aspect ratios. Sure it's a bit nostalgic cuz it looks a lil like 4:3, but that's the only good thing about it.
              Last edited by rabcor; 05 March 2023, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                ...but they went with 3:2, a standard that they themselves essentially created (seeing as nobody else uses it).
                Pretty sure the Surface laptops used 3:2 aspect ratio displays, and long before Framework came out. Various from Lenovo, HP, Asus and Acer also have had that aspect ratio. It was fashionable for a time (and they're only a tiny bit taller than 16:10, so are nice if you're an Office Warrior, with Microsoft's love of the Ribbon.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                  Pretty sure the Surface laptops used 3:2 aspect ratio displays, and long before Framework came out. Various from Lenovo, HP, Asus and Acer also have had that aspect ratio. It was fashionable for a time (and they're only a tiny bit taller than 16:10, so are nice if you're an Office Warrior, with Microsoft's love of the Ribbon.
                  Fine, didn't know that, first time I saw it was framework.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                    Fine, didn't know that, first time I saw it was framework.
                    To be honest I don't find 3:2 particularly comfortable. 16:10 is my "sweet spot" - 16:9 is too vertically challenged and 3:2 a touch too tall.

...but I do like 16:10 triplewide. For productivity, that's best for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X