Coreboot 4.19 Released With AMD Mayan Motherboard, MSI Alder Lake Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot 4.19 Released With AMD Mayan Motherboard, MSI Alder Lake Board

Phoronix: Coreboot 4.19 Released With AMD Mayan Motherboard, MSI Alder Lake Board

Coreboot 4.19 is now available as the latest tagged release for this prominent open-source project allowing various motherboards with their proprietary firmware/BIOS to be replaced by this free software solution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Minor correction is needed s/Z790/Z690/. We didn't started Z790 port yet. I will ask around why support for the board is announced twice in 4.18 and 4.19. Maybe this is about DDR4 and DDR5.
    twitter | linkedin

Comment

bummer about coreboot dropping support for older boards. one of the appealing reasons for coreboot is continuation for older boards that had support dropped from manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
        bummer about coreboot dropping support for older boards. one of the appealing reasons for coreboot is continuation for older boards that had support dropped from manufacturers.
        They've dropped support it seems for every AMD chip that doesn't have it's initialization done for you by the on-CPU Platform Security Processor.

That includes both fam14h/fam15h chips which had native initialization (open source, but messy code) and fam16h which used binaryPI similar to intel's FSP binaries.

Comment

Coreboot sounds really cool, but unfortunately, in the real world I don't think I will ever own a device which use Coreboot.

Comment

bummer about coreboot dropping support for older boards.
            I'd love to see it still support my ancient boards as well, but I don't have the time to maintain it all. Active maintenance leads to boards staying in because those boards aren't getting in the way of newer development. Sad, but that's how it goes.

At least that old code is still around, in the same way it was when it was released, free to use, study and modify.
            Last edited by pgeorgi; 30 January 2023, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Coreboot sounds really cool, but unfortunately, in the real world I don't think I will ever own a device which use Coreboot.
              https://doc.coreboot.org/distributions.html lists a fair number of vendors that ship coreboot by default.

Comment

Older boards are supported if they're maintained. For example, the Asus P2B is a Pentium II board that is still in the master branch: https://review.coreboot.org/plugins/...oard/asus/p2b/

Boards that are not maintained can still be found in release branches and can always be reintroduced to master if they are updated, cleaned up, and tested.

Comment

Michael what's the deal with Project X? You're basically the only one who covered them and they supposedly have all of this promise but won't give any updates for quite a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    What stops you from getting MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi DDR5​ - or some used older board for a dirt cheap price? Yes, this requires some extra expenses - but you can offset them by i.e. selling your older not-supporting hardware

Comment

Working...
                    X