Coreboot/Dasharo Being Ported To The MSI PRO Z690-A DDR5 Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot/Dasharo Being Ported To The MSI PRO Z690-A DDR5 Motherboard

Phoronix: Coreboot/Dasharo Being Ported To The MSI PRO Z690-A DDR5 Motherboard

Earlier this year Coreboot and the Dasharo downstream were ported to the MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 motherboard. This was very exciting in that a current-generation Intel desktop motherboard could run Coreboot and readily available through various Internet retailers. But many inquired about whether the MSI PRO Z690-A DDR5 variant would see similar support and now that too is being worked on...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Coreboot-MSI-Z690-A-DDR5

DDR5 integrates ECC chips. If I'm not wrong it is one of the main requests Trovalds has asked for RAM's system. I don't imagine what benefits ECC chip could yield by linux kernel or in general as hardware feature avoiding software involvement or errors.
    Last edited by MorrisS.; 21 October 2022, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
      DDR5 integrates ECC chips. If I'm not wrong it is one of the main requests Trovalds has asked for RAMs system. I don't imagine what benefits ECC chip could yield by linux kernel or in general as hardware feature avoiding software involvement or errors.
      I have hear this line so many times already, so, one more time...
      DDR5 has on-die ECC, which is NOT the same as the end-to-end ECC that you get with traditional ECC modules (Which also exists in DDR5 form) where you have an additional chip per Rank for data redundancy.

Comment

Working...
      X