Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coreboot 4.18 Released With AMD Morgana & Intel Meteor Lake SoC Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Coreboot 4.18 Released With AMD Morgana & Intel Meteor Lake SoC Support

    Phoronix: Coreboot 4.18 Released With AMD Morgana & Intel Meteor Lake SoC Support

    Coreboot 4.18 had been planned for release in August but after that slipped, this newest Coreboot feature release is now shipping and comes with many hardware support improvements and other changes for this open-source system firmware implementation...

    https://www.phoronix.com/news/Coreboot-4.18-Released

  • #2
    Also exciting is the mainline Coreboot support for the MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4 as a retail, low-cost, widely available Intel Alder Lake motherboard now supporting Coreboot and the Dasharo downstream.​
    This is exciting!

    Does anyone know about the general Linux driver situation for that board? I.e., does everything work, do you needs any firmware blobs etc?

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi cockroach,
      most answers you can find in Dasharo documentation related to this mainaboard: https://docs.dasharo.com/variants/msi_z690/overview/

      For example firmware blobs situation is explained in Openess score section. You can find test results link in releases section, which show what components and with which OS were tested - this should answer your question about drivers availability in various OSes.

      Finally if you would like to build something yourself CPU, Memory and GPU hardware compatibility sections maybe useful for you to check what components were proven to work.

      Feel free to join Dasharo Matrix Community and leave a star on Dasharo Github repos so we can continue deliver bleeding edge open-source firmware implementation.

      P.S. There are some rumors about Dasharo improvements coming by end of October
      twitter | linkedin

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by pietrushnic View Post
        P.S. There are some rumors about Dasharo improvements coming by end of October
        In case people missed it, 3mdeb is working on MSI PRO Z690-A (DDR5) support thanks to a NLnet grant that provided funding.


        Note that in a few days, Raptor Lake launchs in full force with both new Processors and Chipsets/Motherboards. I have been checking the announced boards that has photos available and so far, the MSI PRO Z790-P (WIFI) and MSI PRO Z790-P (WIFI) DDR4 are nearly exact copies of the current Z690-A DDR4 and DDR5 counterparts, so I have been lobbying 3mdeb to do these next as they're the easiest porting targets, assuming the project gets more budget.
        Raptor Lake support itself is a bit problematic due to requiring Intel FSP support, so is likely than even if they get the boards working early, they will support only Alder Lake for the time being.
        Last edited by zir_blazer; 18 October 2022, 07:45 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pietrushnic View Post
          Hi cockroach,
          most answers you can find in Dasharo documentation related to this mainaboard
          Thank you, that's an excellent overview of the firmware's openness. I was however wondering about the openness on the OS' side, whether all the board's components can run without the need to install additional binary blobs (ethernet, audio and wifi do look a bit suspicious).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by zir_blazer View Post
            the MSI PRO Z790-P (WIFI) and MSI PRO Z790-P (WIFI) DDR4 are nearly exact copies of the current Z690-A DDR4 and DDR5 counterparts, so I have been lobbying 3mdeb to do these next as they're the easiest porting targets
            Ah nice. I've also been wondering whether the MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 (without WIFI) differs significantly or if it might just work with the same image...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cockroach View Post

              Thank you, that's an excellent overview of the firmware's openness. I was however wondering about the openness on the OS' side, whether all the board's components can run without the need to install additional binary blobs (ethernet, audio and wifi do look a bit suspicious).
              WiFi requires blobs, the other two not sure. Intel i225-V NIC has an Option ROM.


              Originally posted by cockroach View Post

              Ah nice. I've also been wondering whether the MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 (without WIFI) differs significantly or if it might just work with the same image...

              It works, that has been tested. It will be misidentified as the WIFI version, though.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by zir_blazer View Post
                WiFi requires blobs, the other two not sure. Intel i225-V NIC has an Option ROM.

                It works, that has been tested. It will be misidentified as the WIFI version, though.
                Excellent, thanks. Since I don't need wifi, this might just be what I've been looking for.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cockroach View Post

                  This is exciting!

                  Does anyone know about the general Linux driver situation for that board? I.e., does everything work, do you needs any firmware blobs etc?
                  You will need intel's FSF blobs just to get the board to boot. No blobs? no RAM.

                  All post-ivybridge chips are dependent on intel blobs for even basic functionality.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X