Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot Begins Enabling Support For AMD Morgana & Glinda SoCs

Phoronix: Coreboot Begins Enabling Support For AMD Morgana & Glinda SoCs

Over the weekend code began landing in mainline Coreboot for an AMD SoC codenamed Morgana -- another new codename -- as well as prepping for an AMD Glinda SoC too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about the Alder Lake bios leak instead? Does it mean we are going to get Coreboot support soon(er)? Time to switch back to Intel?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      What about the Alder Lake bios leak instead? Does it mean we are going to get Coreboot support soon(er)? Time to switch back to Intel?
      I doubt Coreboot or any other reverse-engineering developers will risk looking at any leaked material. It's the same situation as Wine developers and Windows leaks - contributions based on them are strictly refused.

Comment

Did you missed this?​ Alder Lake already has Coreboot support, and even there is a Motherboard with a working port ready to flash.

Comment

At the moment, Intel have the small industrial PC/low-end market almost entirely to themselves. I hope that AMD will offer SoCs that give the possibility of choosing non-Intel cpus at similar price/performance and power efficiency levels. Ideally, I'd like to be able to choose non-Intel NICs as well. This is not because I hate Intel: but because I believe substantive choice benefits the end-customer and spurs healthy competition.

Comment

Originally posted by zir_blazer View Post

Did you missed this?​ Alder Lake already has Coreboot support, and even there is a Motherboard with a working port ready to flash.
            I did, thanks!
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Why does this come up every damned time there's some leak of someone's proprietary source code? You cannot legally use that code in any project! People stop asking. The answer is always going to be the same!

Edit to add: It's dangerous to even read the leaked code if you're working on something like Coreboot or Libreboot. Reverse engineers working on above board projects do not read these releases because if they are ever taken to court over infringement and they have this tree in their possession (or browser history) it's an almost guaranteed automatic loss and the damages can be catastrophic!
              Last edited by stormcrow; 10 October 2022, 03:46 PM.

Comment

What about desktop motherboards. When we will have the options to use coreboot on desktop

Comment

Originally posted by kalin View Post
                  What about desktop motherboards. When we will have the options to use coreboot on desktop
                  There was an article about one recently: https://www.phoronix.com/review/coreboot-adl-dream

Each motherboard has a board_info.txt file and one of the things described is form factor. If you clone the repo you can do something like `find coreboot/ -name '*board_info.txt' -exec grep -H 'desktop' {} \;` to get a list of desktop motherboards (currently there are ~63 if you include variants).

Laptops are the most popular targets, though desktop motherboards tend to be easier to port due to not having embedded controllers. If your CPU is supported then doing a port is likely feasible.

Comment

AMD employees must have a lot of fun naming things. Artists... Fish... Rock and Roll bands... Witches...

Comment

Working...
                    X