Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sound Open Firmware 2.3 Released With Support For AMD Rembrandt, Intel Raptor Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Open Firmware 2.3 Released With Support For AMD Rembrandt, Intel Raptor Lake

Phoronix: Sound Open Firmware 2.3 Released With Support For AMD Rembrandt, Intel Raptor Lake

Sound Open Firmware is what started as an open-source Intel effort to push towards more open sound/DSP firmware and has grown since that point into a Linux Foundation project also supported by other vendors like Mediatek, AMD, Realtek, and others. Sound Open Firmware 2.3 was released on Tuesday as the latest advancement for this open-source audio DSP firmware stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sound Open Firmware seems amazing, could something similar be done for graphics and network?
    If so, then I wish Intel would create Graphics Open Firmware and Network Open Firmware too!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Sound Open Firmware seems amazing, could something similar be done for graphics and network?
      If so, then I wish Intel would create Graphics Open Firmware and Network Open Firmware too!
      Isn't that basically what a GPU already is? You can do pretty much anything you want in the shaders.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Isn't that basically what a GPU already is? You can do pretty much anything you want in the shaders.
        Well, we are obviously talking GPU firmware and microcode here, just like for this audio DSP, ... AKA the (un)popular and randomly changing binary blobs, ... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

Well, we are obviously talking GPU firmware and microcode here, just like for this audio DSP, ... AKA the (un)popular and randomly changing binary blobs, ... ;-)
          Well, it's a little bit different. The GPU firmware is basically just a front end to schedule user jobs on the shaders. The shaders themselves are the processing engines where your kernels run. In the case of these sound chips, the firmware is what runs on the DSP so the DSP is more equivalent to the shader functionality-wise. The GPU firmware is more akin to the fixed function DMA engines and i2s interfaces on the sound chip which feed the DSP.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Well, it's a little bit different. The GPU firmware is basically just a front end to schedule user jobs on the shaders. The shaders themselves are the processing engines where your kernels run. In the case of these sound chips, the firmware is what runs on the DSP so the DSP is more equivalent to the shader functionality-wise. The GPU firmware is more akin to the fixed function DMA engines and i2s interfaces on the sound chip which feed the DSP.
            does not change that it could be an open graphics firmware projects, ... with open scheduling, memory management, job and reclocking management. I'm sure the audio boys and girls also previously said: "why open source this just DSP firmware", ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
            X