Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME To Warn Users If Secure Boot Disabled, Preparing Other Firmware Security Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More corporate crap being foisted on gnome, for home users it's all a waste of space.

Comment

Originally posted by mb_q View Post
      Secure Boot is cool but its implementations are nonsense. I've tried enrolling user keys and signing the kernel on a few machines, and the story was the same --- verification was working ok, but a fw reset (removing CMOS battery, proper switch on the motherboard) was enough to jump back to the default SB state with my keys deleted.
      So it is either this or using a machine with MS keys baked in, with a MS-approved bootloader blob, not a substantially tempting option.

I suspect the same story applies to all other switches this tool checks; without coreboot one has to trust the firmware, and these are traditionally totally unreliable, most vendors are more concerned with bloating them with kitsch fan animations that moving their quality anywhere higher than "somewhat seems to work for us".
      I share the sentiment, but how would you implement the loading of new keys? A reduced flash storage associated to the ROM? Otherwise, NVRAM is all you can write to, it will obviously get erased when removing the CMOS battery.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Secure boot in Linux is a security theater anyways because only the kernel image and its modules are signed. Everything else is not, not a single binary or library on the disk.
        So, rather than fix it we oppose flagging the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by dekkzz78 View Post
          More corporate crap being foisted on gnome, for home users it's all a waste of space.
          Wow, so much misinformation and negativity here. It really makes me wonder why we bother.

Comment

Originally posted by hughsie View Post

Wow, so much misinformation and negativity here. It really makes me wonder why we bother.
            Without signed unified boot images and TPM checks Secure Boot is kinda useless so really why bother...

Comment

Originally posted by Dar13 View Post
              SecureBoot protects against unauthorized changes of the kernel (and if you use a Unified Kernel Image, the initramfs as well). This authorization is done by the platform owner which is usually the owner of the machine, so in the case of your laptop/desktop it would be you.
              No it doesn't, unless the Microsoft certificate is distrusted (and yes that's what I do and that's why I support the recent change of distrusting it by default in the newer laptops). But so far all distributions configure their Secure Boot support packages for easy installation, i.e. for compatibility with the default Microsoft certificate, and make it hard to switch to my own keys.

Two examples:

Let's suppose that on this machine I installed Ubuntu. It boots via Microsoft-signed shim. Fedora does this too. But installing a Fedora kernel on my machine, and booting into it (with Ubuntu userspace still), would be an unauthorized change from my perspective - and Secure Boot with the default keys allows this.

Let's suppose that on this machine I installed Arch Linux. To boot Arch Linux with Secure Boot enabled, I would need to add my own keys to the firmware, and sign the unified kernel image. So far so good. But then, unless I explicitly remove the Microsoft certificate, somebody can copy the Fedora boot chain (shim + grub + kernel) to my machine, but with a trojaned initramfs, and (because this ancient system doesn't have a TPM and I am forced to use a passphrase - but look, we are talking about Secure Boot, not TPM, here) steal my LUKS passphrase. This is definitely unauthorized.

Just to reword this: for a security-conscious person, any shim signed by Microsoft is malware (because it can boot grub which can boot a properly-signed kernel with an arbitrary trojaned inintramfs).
              Last edited by patrakov; 29 July 2022, 10:15 AM.

Comment

I hate the idea, but they could at least add a "Don't show this again" checkbox so the user doesn't have to mess with gsettings. Of course, it's GNOME and they can't add a feature without making it user unfriendly.

Comment

I won't be happy until Gnome implements the Cortana voice assistant and forces users to beg the desktop environment to do a full restart into uefi/bios.

"Please let me change my uefi settings Gnome..."
                  "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"
                  Last edited by andyprough; 29 July 2022, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

So, rather than fix it we oppose flagging the problem?
                    I hate the idea of giving the user a false sense of security. Once Linux distros get their act together and start signing all system binaries, then we can have a conversation.

Comment

It looks like GNOME devs will add the most unimportant features instead of doing something about a certain 18 year old issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X