Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Lenovo AMD Laptops With Pluton Co-Processor Reportedly Only Boot Windows By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brussels won't forgive it(think why win N edition exists and how they make USB-C iPhone possible recently), Beijing won't allow it too(at least before they developed their own advanced PC chip), and XX(maybe the United States) v. Microsoft is also on the way……

Comment

Question?

// Update
      Text marked in red color is wrong!

The Z13 is a laptop with an ARM based Processor from Qualcomm and Qualcomm* is infamous for closed-source hardly maintainable Linux-Kernel modules.
      The X13 is a latop with an X86_64-Processor from AMD and well known for supporting Linux. AMDs includes the open-source code under GPL-License with the kernel. The X13 AMD series is usually certified to be used with Linux by Lenovo.

Matthew Garret didn't even mentioned the X13 or AMD.
      Would the author of the news please double check?

Other notes:
      I'm thinking SecureBoot is bad implementation. Everything involving CAs is complicated and faulty and I'm afraid Canonical, Red Hat and the FSF failed to act political against SecureBoot. There better ways to protect your device, I recommend an UEFI-Password and hardware based encryption.

Atheros which builds WiFi-Cards and provides open-source modules for the Linux kernel was bought by Qualcomm years ago. Sadly Qualcomm didn't follow the example of Atheros, regarding Snapdragon.

// edit
      I confused the X13 (X86_64, AMD or Intel) with the X13s (ARM, Qualcomm) and the Z13 (AMD).
      I'm sorry!
      Last edited by hsci; 12 July 2022, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hsci View Post
        Is here something wrong?

The Z13 is a laptop with an ARM based Processor from Qualcomm and Qualcomm* is infamous for closed-source hardly maintainable Linux-Kernel modules.
        The X13 is a latop with an X86_64-Processor from AMD and well known for supporting Linux. AMDs includes the open-source code under GPL-License with the kernel. The X13 AMD series is usually certified to be used with Linux by Lenovo.

Matthew Garret didn't even mentioned the X13 or AMD.
        Would the author of the news please double check?
        Matthew Garret specified the "THINKPAD Z13", and according to THIS , the model is an AMD x86 part (Ryzen 6000U) which happens to have the so called "hardware spyware" known as "Pluton".

Joe Users probably won't give a flying f**k about it, after all Google and Facebook made lots of money selling Joe's personal data, with these nice phones that tracked'em every second and they didn't care at all, only privacy advocates and Other OS people will probably cry foul about it. Kinda a spit in a ocean, IMHO.

I think you people should buy those Ryzen 5xxx processors and boards, and those Intel 11xxx and boards and call it a day for x86 machines. ARM and Apple will come with something similar or more sinister down the line, and i don't think RISC-V will ever be popular or cheap enough to be relevant.
        Last edited by stargeizer; 11 July 2022, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Thank you stargeizer
          You're right!

I mixed up myself the various ThinkPad lines:
          Z13, X86_64 AMD:
          https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/pr...led-materials/
          X13, X86_64 AMD and Intel:
          https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/pr...s-flexibility/
          X13s, ARM Qualcomm:
          https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/pr...ry-life-ai-5g/

I confused the X13s with the Z13

Comment