Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Lenovo AMD Laptops With Pluton Co-Processor Reportedly Only Boot Windows By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Ok thx. Now I can take of the tin hat ...at least for a while.
    Its not a tinfoil hat. Microsoft is a company. It will exploit linux where it profits, and it will extinguish linux where it profits. It may in rare situations contribute to linux where it profits.

Even after all this years, I can't still see a single contribution from MS that benefits an average linux users who does not use one of its paid cloud services. Maybe edge browser. And it's not like it's too irrational to expect. Google and even facebook has done a lot more in this regard

Comment

Good, make this mandatory on every x86 CPU. Time for both win and x86 to securely die.

Comment

This isn’t new. You have been able to change the allowed secure boot settings on most UEFI machines for years. On my 2021 era Lenovo X13 yoga I could restrict the certs allowed, but I can still dual boot Fedora 36, with secure boot enabled.

The same was true on the Surface models from the start too. They had only MS cert allowed but you could enable third party.

Where this does improve security is when its combined with a firmware password or biometrics. That combo could prevent someone from live booting a non MS OS, which some company or government agency might desire for machines they own. That’s fine - it’s not forced on everyone else.

Comment

Now hold up a second, is this spychip named after a superweapon from one piece?
          standard-surprised-pikachu.png

Comment

Originally posted by leo_sk View Post
            Its not a tinfoil hat. Microsoft is a company. It will exploit linux where it profits, and it will extinguish linux where it profits. It may in rare situations contribute to linux where it profits.
            You could say the same thing about MS' general OSS efforts: If OSS increases the conversion rate to for-profit MS products and services, MS will employ OSS. MS needs developer mindshare and OSS is one way to get it in today's landscape, particularly if it drives people to MS' cloud services/platform subscriptions.

Re. developer mind share, it does feel like VS Code is well liked and respected by many users.

Comment

Can you not add certificates to "db" from the UEFI "bios"? Seems like a non-issue

Comment

Originally posted by make_adobe_on_Linux! View Post
                We gotta get Project X and frame.work working together so we can have a corebooted AMD laptop that is customer-friendly, modular, and repairable! I realize AMD & Intel are both against us, but how are you going to get good integrated graphics in a laptop otherwise without losing a bunch of performance due to software patches from Intel CPU exploits? Plus, the AMDs support ECC natively - so all we'd need is the right motherboard.
                Has anyone seen or heard anything about Project X since 2020? I can't find any site or github or any news since the initial wave of articles.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

Re. developer mind share, it does feel like VS Code is well liked and respected by many users.
                  VS code solely exists in my view as a freeware so as to habituate developers to its workflow and promote Microsoft's visual studio. But yeah, it can be considered in better light than most other contributions of MS

Comment

We're heading towards a time, where hardware owners are denied to make the choice which software they want to run on their own devices. This is ridiculous and there really should be consumer-protection legislation to prevent the worst case!

Comment

As long as you change the setting in BIOS, the feature is useless. I mean really what's the point of all this? You either have 'access' or 'not' ... So I tend to agree with above that we are heading toward a time when we are denied 'choice' in name of so called 'security'.... And security against what? Data on this disk is all that matters in my books. If stolen, the drive can be removed from the box anyway, and analysed elsewhere if any sensitive data is on it. So to me if you want to lock down a box, secure the data with encryption if you are paranoid.

Comment

Working...
                      X