No announcement yet.

A Dream Come True: Running Coreboot On A Modern, Retail Desktop Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I presume most advanced features of the original ROM are lost, including intelligent fan management, wake on LAN, SMART monitoring, etc.

Oh, and I'm almost sure Secure Boot doesn't work with this ROM either.

Still a nice achievement considering in the past this ROM supported only 10 year old motherboards.

Comment

As happy as I am for the "current-gen coreboot motherboard", it's still slightly crippled (X.M.P, power management and CPU clock speeds) and dependent on binary blobs. Just like AOSP vs. Android (crippled camera firmware, buggy OLED driver logic, buggy wifi etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Yeah I know about clock management and turbo boost. You'd think all of it was managed by the closed-source blob.
        Seeing as motherboard brands differ quite a bit in the interpretation of Intel guidelines, even lower end models of the same manufacturers have slightly toned down clocks (Hardware Unboxed made a video on it).
        So at least it can be configured by the manufacturer, if not completely controlled by the BIOS.

Comment

Just curious if anyone reading knows, how different is one motherboards bios from another? Like lets say three scenarios:
          1) Would the DDR5 version of this same board require an entirely separate port or would it just be some tweaks to the existing code?
          2) Would another MSI board targeting this platform have enough similar bits or would that be a separate port?
          3) Same basic question for another company's board targeting the same platform?

I know nothing really about this stuff I'm just curious where the point of being a totally new port process starts vs just needing to tweak some of the existing code for the slightly different modules.

Comment

Anybode else bothered by the picture of the cpu cooler mounted the wrong way around for the cabling?

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
              Anybode else bothered by the picture of the cpu cooler mounted the wrong way around for the cabling?
              Mine is placed just like that. The damn clips of my stock Intel cooler have harden considerably after 7 years of usage, each time getting more challenging to relock it after removal. So the last time I took the cooler out to apply thermal paste (CPU was idling at 60ºC), I couldn't lock the cooler back for the life of me. After a full thirty minutes the locks finally clicked and the cooler was tightly locked. At that point I realized that it was rotated 90º. Considering it was 2 o'clock in the morning I left the cable crossing the whole diameter of the cooler onto the MOBO's power plug and called it a day.
              Last edited by sabian2008; 30 June 2022, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I would pay a premium for a version of this board that was preflashed with Coreboot. Although the D16 running Libreboot is still top of my wishlist for x86 which is under the Talos II.

Comment

That's an impressive accomplishment.

Is the rest of the motherboard functional? Slots, ports, WiFi, onboard sound and such?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    Oh, and I'm almost sure Secure Boot doesn't work with this ROM either.
                    According to their docs, Secure Boot works.

Comment

Thank you for this, I've been dreaming about this happening for so long, always thought it wouldn't happen. It's an insta buy from me if they support 13th gen

Comment

Working...
                      X