Open-Source Firmware For The MSI Alder Lake Motherboard Taking Shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Firmware For The MSI Alder Lake Motherboard Taking Shape

Phoronix: Open-Source Firmware For The MSI Alder Lake Motherboard Taking Shape

Last month was the surprising news of open-source Coreboot working on a readily available Intel Alder Lake motherboard. That work for the MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi DDR4 motherboard is being carried out by independent firmware consulting firm 3mdeb and using the Dasharo open-source firmware distribution with Coreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm so happy to see this happening. And seeing the progress i'm pretty confident there won't be many (if any) limitations left by the time i'll buy a new PC

Comment

NOTE:
      lease visit the platform FAQ before proceeding with installing Dasharo: https://docs.dasharo.com/variants/msi_z690/overview/
      The chance to brick the system is not zero and the USB FlashBIOS for recovery does NOT yet work if you installed Dasharo!

Also, the current memory compatibility list consists of 1 tested module, see Memory Compatibility section.

Be sure to check out the known issues listed on the Release section. We are still working on PCIe Gen5 GPU slot support. Currently, this slot is not operational so you need a CPU with graphics (anything non-F in the CPU name).

Comment

Originally posted by miczyg View Post
        NOTE:
        lease visit the platform FAQ before proceeding with installing Dasharo: https://docs.dasharo.com/variants/msi_z690/overview/
        The chance to brick the system is not zero and the USB FlashBIOS for recovery does NOT yet work if you installed Dasharo!

Also, the current memory compatibility list consists of 1 tested module, see Memory Compatibility section.

Be sure to check out the known issues listed on the Release section. We are still working on PCIe Gen5 GPU slot support. Currently, this slot is not operational so you need a CPU with graphics (anything non-F in the CPU name).
        Ouch if you brick a 230$ board just like that, maybe they should start with boards that have a dual Bios or stuff, not overwriting the reflash sequence or whatever but then the spooky paranoid guys will again say ahh theres oem stuff left kill it with fire.

Comment

PS: can you get rid of the oem Stuff ? no you will still need AGESA or whatver the Intel calls it you simply cant get rid of it because it´s in the CPU

Comment

This sounds great for real. I am so glad to see real progress in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by erniv2 View Post

Ouch if you brick a 230$ board just like that, maybe they should start with boards that have a dual Bios or stuff, not overwriting the reflash sequence or whatever but then the spooky paranoid guys will again say ahh theres oem stuff left kill it with fire.
              You can just backup the original state, i like to mess with firmware and i have a ch341, beagle bone black and a raspberry just to make backups and flash firmwares. As you said bricking a 230$ board sucks so i would spend some time and maybe some money if you don't have the equipment and have a tested backup.

Comment

it's still a v0.3 beta

Comment

PS: can you get rid of the oem Stuff ? no you will still need AGESA or whatver the Intel calls it you simply cant get rid of it because it´s in the CPU
                  You still need the intel FSP binaries. No they're not in the CPU, that's the ME.

Comment

I would like to see a similar development for AMD

Comment

Working...
                    X