Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State Of Open-Source Firmware / Coreboot On Intel Tiger Lake

Phoronix: The State Of Open-Source Firmware / Coreboot On Intel Tiger Lake

The folks at open-source firmware consulting firm 3mdeb have published a new blog post outlining the current state of open-source firmware on Intel Tiger Lake platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope they take a look at the AMD Advantage laptops next, would probably make them the most open whilst still being useful

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      I hope they take a look at the AMD Advantage laptops next, would probably make them the most open whilst still being useful
      i still don't get whats the point with intel and Coreboot

if you want fully open source system you buy a raptor power 9 system .... ok

the people 3mdeb in another threat claim that no one ever checked if the power9 system has every documentation to garantee to be fully open...

but if i buy a intel+coreboot system it is garanteed that it is not fully open...
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        We would be glad to work with companies that sell AMD platforms, as I mentioned in other thread we work with PC Engines (firewalls based on AMD SoC) for 6+ years. Silicon venord support needs improvements, but I hope they will earn enough money on their high quality products to provide reasonable ecosystem for open-source firmware development.
        twitter | linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

the people 3mdeb in another threat claim that no one ever checked if the power9 system has every documentation to garantee to be fully open...

but if i buy a intel+coreboot system it is garanteed that it is not fully open...
          qarium I'm with you on that. If someone can afford OpenPOWER based hardware and surrounded ecosystem, then yes this make sense. We really can talk a lot about OpenPOWER, RISC-V or Arm promise and how it looks in light of idea and execution. TBH we doing that almost every Dasharo OSF vPub, so feel free to tune in next time.

Questions is what we want to achieve. For example would you recommend POWER9-based hardware to local SME with ~20 computers? There is need for changes in whole technology supply chain ecosystem. Shifting everything to other architecture is not easy task and we will definitely help doing that together with Raptor and Insurgo. Unfortunately, very little people understand what openess (not saying about free software) is and even less can leverage that benefit.

I'm really worried that in open-source firmware community we are divided and fighting nitpicking every possible word. We are in the same camp and should collaborate and not waste time to fight with each other.
          twitter | linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by pietrushnic View Post

qarium I'm with you on that. If someone can afford OpenPOWER based hardware and surrounded ecosystem, then yes this make sense. We really can talk a lot about OpenPOWER, RISC-V or Arm promise and how it looks in light of idea and execution. TBH we doing that almost every Dasharo OSF vPub, so feel free to tune in next time.

Questions is what we want to achieve. For example would you recommend POWER9-based hardware to local SME with ~20 computers? There is need for changes in whole technology supply chain ecosystem. Shifting everything to other architecture is not easy task and we will definitely help doing that together with Raptor and Insurgo. Unfortunately, very little people understand what openess (not saying about free software) is and even less can leverage that benefit.

I'm really worried that in open-source firmware community we are divided and fighting nitpicking every possible word. We are in the same camp and should collaborate and not waste time to fight with each other.
            right i do not fight and for sure i do not nitpicking words... i like any opensource project even the coreboot on intel stuff.

this outdated cruft of UEFI bios has to die for sure.

but what i want to say at some one you have to think for yourself: makes this sense for you?...

i am on a AMD threadripper system right now and i am really sure my next system will be fully opensource.

for me... buy intel+coreboot instead of a fully open system does not look right to me.

but of course this legacy UEFI bios has to die.

Comment

Last I checked those systems were waaaaaaaaay out of the price range of entire categories of users. And they can't run x86/64 natively. And whilst much open source can be compiled for Power, there's also plenty that cannot (yet). Not to mention binary-only software. And running binary-only software on open firmware&OS is still massive progress, especially with advances in containing software. Sure, in an ideal world we'd all run only open source on RISCV - but don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Especially when the perfect is clearly unachievable in the near/medium term.

Comment

but what i want to say at some one you have to think for yourself: makes this sense for you?...
                This makes perfect sense to me. It is very hard to find honest resources about what is going on the market most probably because those who really know are busy or closed in the bubble without intention to enlighten the masses.
                twitter | linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by pietrushnic View Post
                  This makes perfect sense to me. It is very hard to find honest resources about what is going on the market most probably because those who really know are busy or closed in the bubble without intention to enlighten the masses.
                  right and right now intel is more cooperative than normal because right now they are the clear losers in the market...

on phoronix test benchmark if you see overall average score the 12900K is of course the NR1 but only if you see it without the power consumtion... if you see this it is 141watt for the 5950 on AMD vs 272watt on intel side
                  if you OC the 5950 to 272 watt with expensive mainboard intel is no longer NR1...
                  on GPU side the same... intel with 152mm² loses agaist the 100mm² radeon 6500XT ...

so in my point of view intel is the loser even with their newst hightech 10nm node... but that makes them more cooperative to projects like Coreboot

Comment

Working...
                  X