No announcement yet.

Open-Source Coreboot Port Working On A Retail Intel Alder Lake MSI Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Coreboot Port Working On A Retail Intel Alder Lake MSI Motherboard

Phoronix: Open-Source Coreboot Port Working On A Retail Intel Alder Lake MSI Motherboard

When it comes to running open-source Coreboot on retail motherboards it's sadly mostly a matter of generations-old platforms like various AMD Opteron server motherboards, old ThinkPads, many generation old motherboards for out-of-date Intel CPUs, and other dated hardware. To much excitement, 3mdeb has been porting Coreboot and the Dasaharo open-source firmware to the MSI PRO Z690-A motherboards... Yes, finally Coreboot on a retail and broadly available motherboard that's latest-generation!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well I gotta say Coreboot needs to work a lot on their site. I've tried to find out what mobos are supported, but it's just a generic mish-mash of random examples.

Comment

Well now, what have we here???

Comment

Wow, that is huge - and would be a massive point towards intel if i was in the marked for a new system. Will be interesting how feature-complete that is in regards to the features of the mainboard and OC.

Comment

Would be pretty cool if this got to a level where hw vendors felt comfortable shipping it in products straight from the factory

Comment

Originally posted by Inopia View Post
            Would be pretty cool if this got to a level where hw vendors felt comfortable shipping it in products straight from the factory
            System76 has talked about trying to do this with a modern computer for the past few years, so maybe they'll jump onboard and offer a desktop system with this board.

Comment

MSI in my expierience mostly does pretty standard way, like generic tools for overclocking or modyfing stuff like CPU overclocking, GPU overclocking, throttlestop etc. work pretty well. I never also had to install modified drivers from MSI for something.

Never had compability issue installing linux on MSI laptops, and all those stuff like function keys were working despite that they never claim to support linux.

In general i am not suprised MSI board is supported by coreboot.

Comment

Cool cool. I wonder how much it costs to hire them for a board, and how much help they need. Just waiting for the first big Taiwanese board manufacturer to bring this to their whole lineup.

Edit: cool, they have a Get a Quote form on the Dasharo site.
                Last edited by microcode; 12 April 2022, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Damn.. I have really hoped it would support ECC Memory (as some i9-12900 do). But no. What a shame.
                  Otherwise it would have been an immediate buy for me

Comment

Whew ... unfortunately not AMD, but I'd probably still buy something like this when they continue this for the next generation of processors/mobos ... I'd love to give coreboot a try.

Comment

Working...
                    X