X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developer12
    replied
    Originally posted by tunnelblick View Post
    I would love to see plain Linux on iDRAC. Or any other proprietary BMC out there.
    The update cycles are laughable, the look and feel makes 1995 GUIs look modern and the security implications of not having an updated BMC are huge.
    It sounds to me like you're in Oxide's target demographic. They *HATE* proprietary BMCs.

Leave a comment:

• tehehe
    replied
    Wake me up when normal servers are supported. Until then this project is not applicable to almost anyone.

Leave a comment:

• tunnelblick
    replied
    I would love to see plain Linux on iDRAC. Or any other proprietary BMC out there.
    The update cycles are laughable, the look and feel makes 1995 GUIs look modern and the security implications of not having an updated BMC are huge.

Leave a comment:

• sarfarazahmad
    replied
    No support for modern servers like Dell's R8xxs, R7xxs? HP Proliant Gen10 ? Supermicro? It would have been so good if this space was open-sourced. Redfish is convoluted IMO and vendors have their own implementations of it.

Leave a comment:

• Developer12
    replied
    It's interesting to compare this with the OS that Oxide Computer systems made for their service processor. They found BMCs overall to be really buggy and misfeatured.

Notes: https://github.com/oxidecomputer/twitter-spaces/blob/master/2021_12_13.mdContext: https://twitter.com/bcantrill/status/1470519954566832129Skip to 6:37...

Oxide are doing some really interesting things with their custom hardware/software. They're also running coreboot under their servers' hypervisor, for example.

Except unlike google/facebook/etc, they plan to actually sell these machines to mid-scale businesses.
    Last edited by Developer12; 17 February 2022, 05:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• OpenBMC 2.11 Released As The Leading Open-Source Linux Distro For BMCs

Phoronix: OpenBMC 2.11 Released As The Leading Open-Source Linux Distro For BMCs

With OpenBMC 2.10 never having materialized beyond a release candidate, the release of OpenBMC 2.11 today is a big one with roughly a year's worth of changes since OpenBMC 2.9. OpenBMC 2.11 brings many improvements for this Linux distribution intended for baseboard management controllers (BMCs) on servers and other management controllers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X