Open-Source Firmware Foundation Established For Advancing Open Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Firmware Foundation Established For Advancing Open Firmware

Phoronix: Open-Source Firmware Foundation Established For Advancing Open Firmware

The Open-Source Firmware Foundation (OSFF) is getting up and running with hopes of expanding open-source firmware usage throughout the industry...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Im not holding high hope, but will cheer them on.

Comment

Having LVFS as a standard that no manufacturer would even dare bypassing would already be amazing. Having it as part of Windows too would be an ultimate win (it would need a rename then).

Having opensource firmware is kind of the second battle for now but good initiative.

Comment

When I read about Intel and open firmware my first thoughts are about EFI and CPU firmware... After reading the article I wonder if that has anything todo with OSFF at all.

Now I think it's about something much more basic, like telling corporate-oem X and Y to use git and .gitignore or to stop inventing their own system management bus all the time.

Comment

Maybe i'm being picky but it bothers me when these "open" type projects use Twitter instead of Mastodon and Instagram instead of PixelFed. I do wish them luck regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post
            Maybe i'm being picky but it bothers me when these "open" type projects use Twitter instead of Mastodon and Instagram instead of PixelFed. I do wish them luck regardless.
            mastodon sucks to use, never heard of pixelfed

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

mastodon sucks to use, never heard of pixelfed
              I'll take Mastodon over Twitter any day simply due to privacy; security and decentralization. As for PixelFed, it's an open source Instagram replacment.

Learn more about Pixelfed, the free and open-source decentralized photo sharing social media platform

Comment

open source is not always a good thing. you can see it all over linux how many forks are because "my way is better" and instead of focusing on something people keeps reinventing the wheel

Comment

I'll take Mastodon over Twitter any day simply due to privacy; security and decentralization. As for PixelFed, it's an open source Instagram replacment.

https://pixelfed.org/
                  I find mastodon a chore and a half to use, but then again, I don't use twitter (sometimes I use nitter) so that may be a factor, will defo check out pixelfed tho

Comment

You have to reach people where they are. If the purpose of putting out an announcement is to garner publicity, then it makes sense to use the services where the biggest audiences are found. Among your friends, use whatever you like.

Comment

Working...
                    X