SiFive Shifting Production Focus To Next-Gen HiFive Development Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SiFive Shifting Production Focus To Next-Gen HiFive Development Board

Phoronix: SiFive Shifting Production Focus To Next-Gen HiFive Development Board

SiFive's HiFive Unmatched is the best, readily available RISC-V developer board at the moment with enough horsepower for modest development/porting work and continues seeing improvements with the mainline Linux kernel. But availability on HiFive Unmatched is beginning to dry up and SiFive isn't planning on any further production runs as it begins focusing on the board's successor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by tildearrow
    I guess their inventory is really Unmatched to the demand...
    Boo...

Comment

nice, i am very interested in the new version.
      if it had ecc ram it would be a great base for a soho nas already.

does anybody know how good ffmpeg support is? for me that would probably seal the deal

Comment

I'd like to see both a mini ITX sized board (with PCIe and whatever else the next generation SoC exposes) as well as a RPi form factor board.

What I'd like, and what is reasonable for the company to develop, are completely different things

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
          nice, i am very interested in the new version.
          if it had ecc ram it would be a great base for a soho nas already.

does anybody know how good ffmpeg support is? for me that would probably seal the deal
          Crypto is so slow it's useless as a NAS

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post

Crypto is so slow it's useless as a NAS
            https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=30103
            Damn, but thank you.
            Well i guess i just have to wait a little more

Comment

This thing costs like $500+ and in benchmarks here at Phoronix it got outperformed by a $35 Raspberry Pi.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Look, the cheap low-power $35 Raspberry Pi absolutely destroys the expensive SiFive HiFive Unmatched board.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                This thing costs like $500+ and in benchmarks here at Phoronix it got outperformed by a $35 Raspberry Pi.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...nchmarks&num=4
                Look, the cheap low-power $35 Raspberry Pi absolutely destroys the expensive SiFive HiFive Unmatched board.
                You have to understand RISC-V still is in early stages. Don't expect a $35 RISC-V board that outperforms Threadripper yet.
                Also, this thing is produced in small numbers, unlike the Pi.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

You have to understand RISC-V still is in early stages. Don't expect a $35 RISC-V board that outperforms Threadripper yet.
                  Also, this thing is produced in small numbers, unlike the Pi.
                  I didn't expect it to outperform a $5000 64-core AMD Threadripper, but I didn't expect it to get destroyed by a cheap, little, low-power $35 Raspberry Pi.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I didn't expect it to outperform a $5000 64-core AMD Threadripper, but I didn't expect it to get destroyed by a cheap, little, low-power $35 Raspberry Pi.
                    Even if RISC-V CPU core design gets closer to the performance of the current ARM designs, it will probably take a few more years after that until the compilers catch up.

I still remember that on the early days of the medium/high-performance ARM cores there was still a lot of software that performed quite poorly due to lack of code optimisations compared to their x86 counterparts. Not too long ago I still had to use a Linaro modified version of GCC to compile the Linux kernel, fortunately everything is now upstreamed.

Comment

Working...
                    X