Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft's Director of OS Security Gets Coreboot Playing Nicely With Windows 11

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Microsoft's Director of OS Security Gets Coreboot Playing Nicely With Windows 11

    Phoronix: Microsoft's Director of OS Security Gets Coreboot Playing Nicely With Windows 11

    It turns out with enough maneuvering that Microsoft Windows 11 can run well with the open-source Coreboot even with keeping UEFI SecureBoot enabled and meeting Windows 11's TPM requirements and other security measures...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...oot-Windows-11

  • #2
    This is one less barrier to mass adoption of coreboot so that can only be a good thing

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by tildearrow
      How ironic. The open-source bootloader loading support for TPM, a black box.
      A non-blackbox TPM would be pretty useless because then everyone would know the secrets you're trying to store inside, no?

      I have no idea why people yell so much FUD about TPMs. It's a SMD (nowadays integrated in the chipset) that communicates via I2C or other boring buses, it has no DMA capabilities and can't backdoor your stuff or phone home

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tildearrow
        How ironic. The open-source bootloader loading support for TPM, a black box.
        Oh no, TPM! Seamless full disk encryption for the masses! How else would we lose our data to thieves anymore?! The horror!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

          Oh no, TPM! Seamless full disk encryption for the masses! How else would we lose our data to thieves anymore?! The horror!
          Well, TPM does have its benefits (like that one), but at the same time it allows for things like DRM....

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

            Well, TPM does have its benefits (like that one), but at the same time it allows for things like DRM....
            and yet there isn't any mainstream drm implemenation that requires it.
            but intel cpu's dropped the feature that was needed to play 4k Blue Rays.

            a secure key storage is a *very* good thing - if the consumer controls it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Doesn't running windows 11 from it kinda defeat the point of coreboot?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                Oh no, TPM! Seamless full disk encryption for the masses! How else would we lose our data to thieves anymore?! The horror!
                However the attacks on windows from ransomware quadruplicated.. how do you explain that?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                  However the attacks on windows from ransomware quadruplicated.. how do you explain that?
                  ransomware encrypts your files on the filesystem layer, what does that have to do with disk encryption?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                    Doesn't running windows 11 from it kinda defeat the point of coreboot?
                    How so? Isn't the job of a firmware loader to eventually load an operative system? It's not that coreboot can do all your typical daily computing tasks...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X