Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Patches Posted For Enabling WiFi On Apple M1/T2 Platforms

Phoronix: Linux Patches Posted For Enabling WiFi On Apple M1/T2 Platforms

Another important step toward Apple M1 hardware being useful under Linux is in the process of being realized... Working WiFi. The initial "request for comments" patch series was sent out today enabling the Broadcom "BRCMFMAC" driver to work for the wireless LAN support on the M1 SoC as well as with the Apple T2 platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wait, so it just uses a Broadcom wireless chipset?
    That's too bad as I had mediocre experience with it:
    - Open drivers work near-flawlessly, but uploading anything stalls the connection
    - Closed drivers work, but it takes forever to find my network and when it fails KDE prompts me for the password again
    - Even on Windows it fails (sometimes device appears as if it was ANOTHER device and sometimes it doesn't even appear)
    Last edited by tildearrow; 26 December 2021, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I used a 2012 MacBook that I got as a gift till I built a PC when the Radeon 5600 XT came out. The build quality of that thing was amazing with its 1440p-ish display and great keyboard but I will never, I mean NEVER go back to Broadcom on Linux. I can't believe RPi users want to use Broadcom graphics on Linux.

tl;dr: Apple most certainly makes long lasting products with high degree of software support but Broadcom does not. Avoid Broadcom on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
        I can't believe RPi users want to use Broadcom graphics on Linux.
        It's not like there is any other choice. Yeah, there are better choices for Linux users and RPi is not perfect but it's probably most popular and most available board.

Comment

I've not had problems with Broadcom stuff in the last 15 years or so. Now that Android has became popular most things seem to work. In the old days they were a problem. These days most vendors (well except Nvidia) seem to understand that Linux exists...

Also, RiPi open source graphics support is now excellent. I don't know what people are complaining about.

Comment

The use of a bcm SOC is the reason I don't own a Pi after my experience with a Netgear WGR614L. My current bcm iptv media receiver (MR401) isn't all that great too.. Openness is invaluable.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
              I can't believe RPi users want to use Broadcom graphics on Linux.
              RPis are everywhere in the millions so the SOC support is quite good for them.

Originally posted by Schugy View Post
              My current bcm iptv media receiver (MR401) isn't all that great too.. Openness is invaluable.
              Fast google gives it a BCM7252S dualcore unveiled in 2015, I wouldn't expect anything from it.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Wait, so it just uses a Broadcom wireless chipset?
                That's too bad as I had mediocre experience with it:
                Just be glad it's not even worse Intel Wifi.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

Just be glad it's not even worse Intel Wifi.
                  On the other hand Intel wireless just worked when I last used it in 2015. Zero issues.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    On the other hand Intel wireless just worked when I last used it in 2015. Zero issues.
                    The same for me for Broadcom chipsets. Can't say the same about Intel chipsets.

Comment

Working...
                    X