Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another ASRock Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge Motherboard Ported To Open-Source Coreboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another ASRock Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge Motherboard Ported To Open-Source Coreboot

Phoronix: Another ASRock Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge Motherboard Ported To Open-Source Coreboot

Another aging Intel motherboard is now supported by Coreboot for those wanting to free your system down to the BIOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know much about coreboot, but as long as it implements the features that most people need, I would like to see it become more wide spread

Comment

Michael There's also a new, modern laptop being sold with coreboot right now NovaCustom NV41 from configurelaptop.eu.

Full disclosure: I'm one of the people who worked on the coreboot port for it

Comment

Originally posted by mihau View Post
        Michael There's also a new, modern laptop being sold with coreboot right now NovaCustom NV41 from configurelaptop.eu.

Did it hit mainline yet? Otherwise let me know when it does, don't recall seeing commits yet mentioning that device.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Even if it's one that is hard to find I am always happy when more boards get CoreBoot support.

Originally posted by mihau View Post

Thanks for mentioning that. I'm not in the market at the moment but I bookmarked the site for when I am.

Comment

Dumped away my ASRock H77 Pro4 around a year ago, after the PCI-E port cooked off and literally fell apart.
            All in all, good linux support, served me well for around 7 years, the RX580 card I mounted in it in the past 2 years was probably a bit too much for it. Also, my previous case sucked at airflow.

Comment

Would corebooting this MB fully disable intel's management engine?

Comment

Originally posted by toguro123 View Post
                Would corebooting this MB fully disable intel's management engine?
                Hi toguro123. coreboot and ME cleaner are two seperate things. You can fully disable ME without flashing coreboot and you can have coreboot and keep ME. If you want coreboot and fully remove ME, it's two separate tasks, that yes, is possible. Coreboot does have a disable ME function in the config, but that doesn't fully remove it like ME cleaner does. Hope that's clear.

Comment

How far have the plans of Intel, Asus, AMD and other companies come to create an opensource modular platform for uefi&bios?

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
                    How far have the plans of Intel, Asus, AMD and other companies come to create an opensource modular platform for uefi&bios?
                    Nonexistent. There are various shiny plans from intel but by all appearances it's just a marketing spin on allowing people to run a thin shim of coreboot on a thick layer of silicon-managing blob.

Unfortunately, coreboot itself just doesn't have the manpower to do native ports anymore, even for older stuff like haswell (the last was ivybridge about 10 years ago). They're *terrible* at turning users into contributors and have been bleeding devs for years. Most of the real work comes from companies like google who don't really care about whether coreboot rests on an intel FSP binary or AMD PSP firmware. They care more about controlling the boot environment for the subsequent stages in the chain.

There's some work from google in an "open-source" port to recent AMD chips but it rests on PSP firmware (which honestly is the best they or anyone else can do) and so far hasn't been applicable to anything other than secret google server prototypes. No consumer board ports.
                    Last edited by Developer12; 26 December 2021, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X