Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Libreboot 20211122 Rebases Against Newer Coreboot, Drops "Very Bloated" TianoCore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by michaelb1 View Post
    Are there any worthy EFI executables at all
    The linux kernel can be booted directly as an EFI executable.

Then again, if you're going through all the trouble of replacing your out-of-the-box bios with coreboot you might as well use LinuxBoot rather than an UEFI implementation.

I sometimes wonder why coreboot hasn't been a huge success. Sure, there is little incentive for board makers to support replacing their firmware with another one, volunteer support will always be late, people are apprehensive about bricking their systems etc., so in this space I wouldn't expect much. But why are MB makers happy to fork over a chunk of their razor-thin margins to AMI/Award/whoever rather than just slapping coreboot on their boards?

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post

The linux kernel can be booted directly as an EFI executable.

Then again, if you're going through all the trouble of replacing your out-of-the-box bios with coreboot you might as well use LinuxBoot rather than an UEFI implementation.

I sometimes wonder why coreboot hasn't been a huge success. Sure, there is little incentive for board makers to support replacing their firmware with another one, volunteer support will always be late, people are apprehensive about bricking their systems etc., so in this space I wouldn't expect much. But why are MB makers happy to fork over a chunk of their razor-thin margins to AMI/Award/whoever rather than just slapping coreboot on their boards?
      Coreboot is in fact a moderate success. Its used by chromebooks and botique supplies like System 76. Its development also drove the further development of tools like the ch431a chip flasher, flashrom, mecleaner, and a whole host of tools for hacking on and developing firmware. Its also help demystify the world of firmware.

It also gives the ability of small boutique vendors, crowd sourced projects and oddities a chance to function with a complete working, no cost, easy to modify for whatever custom stuff they have firmware to run projects with.

I am going to guess paying for firmware you probably get access to stuff that that coreboot doesn't have, or can't have. I am going to also guess that AMI or Award will sell you a full, turnkey solution, with mouse enabled GUI, and other features you'd have to re-implement yourself if you wanted them. If you look at some of the flashier GUI bioses, especially at shit targeted at gamers, you'll see why. What is coreboot going to do to support the 5 RGB LED controllers, with "high tech" battle video game looking GUI, and the auto-fan temp/speed curves for the 6 supported fans. Is it going to support overclocking of any sort, is there going to be an overclocking menu? Someone has to write all that, to be frank. What about TPM support? What about any other security modules?

coreboot's config menu is rather spartan, and doesn't even have password protection.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
        What about TPM support? What about any other security modules?
        This-a-way: https://review.coreboot.org/plugins/.../src/security/

coreboot supports TPM 1.2 and 2.0. It also supports TXT as well as Converged Bootguard and TXT (CBnT), which is validated using 9elements' open-source security test suite.
        Last edited by davidhendricks; 23 November 2021, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X