No announcement yet.

Sound Open Firmware For AMD Audio Hardware Arrives, Initially For Renoir ACP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Open Firmware For AMD Audio Hardware Arrives, Initially For Renoir ACP

Phoronix: Sound Open Firmware For AMD Audio Hardware Arrives, Initially For Renoir ACP

Back in 2018 Intel founded Sound Open Firmware as their effort to provide an open-source audio DSP firmware and software development kit. AMD has begun supporting Sound Open Firmware too now, initially for the Renoir audio co-processor (ACP)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thumbs up for this step. The right way to go.
    Wait... isn't the 4800H a Renoir in my yet to arrive new notebook?
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      Thumbs up for this step. The right way to go.
      Wait... isn't the 4800H a Renoir in my yet to arrive new notebook?
      Whether or not ACP is used in a design is up to the OEM.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        Whether or not ACP is used in a design is up to the OEM.
        That sounds like the GPU compute firmware present on a lot of AMD cards and RoCm compute stack..
        yeah, I am referring to pcie atomics operations required for them to work, but then wait... it will all depends on the OEM implementations and choices..
        In Other words,
        You will have broken hardware that cannot take advantage of the features that are implemented by this software projects, because the software and the hardware are not entirely compatible..

Some will say.. ho wait this is OEM fault..
        I will say, no..this is AMD fault because they should be the ones enforcing good practices, and that his hardware is sane and is implemented by the OEM as a standard.. not as a option.
        And when I mean AMD, I mean all hardware producers, Mediatek, AMD, Intel, NXP,etc..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
          That sounds like the GPU compute firmware present on a lot of AMD cards and RoCm compute stack..
          yeah, I am referring to pcie atomics operations required for them to work, but then wait... it will all depends on the OEM implementations and choices..
          PCIe atomics are no longer required for ROCm.

Some will say.. ho wait this is OEM fault..
          I will say, no..this is AMD fault because they should be the ones enforcing good practices, and that his hardware is sane and is implemented by the OEM as a standard.. not as a option.
          And when I mean AMD, I mean all hardware producers, Mediatek, AMD, Intel, NXP,etc..
          I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say here. There is no fault here. Platforms may or may not use ACP. Platforms may or may not include a dGPU. Platforms may or may not include a webcam. If the OEM doesn't want to use the audio features offered by ACP, they don't have to include it in their design. They don't necessarily make sense in every platform. Just because something exists, doesn't mean there is value in including it in every design. E.g., you don't need audio in a router platform. ACP is mainly used for ultra low power audio, DMIC, or DSP support. The extra components can add cost or complexity to the design vs. just using the integrated HD audio controller.

Comment

PCIe atomics are no longer required for ROCm.
            Well, probably are no longer required because RoCm as it is right now, its made for Enterprise only hardware?
            ROCmProgMod.png

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say here. There is no fault here. Platforms may or may not use ACP. Platforms may or may not include a dGPU. Platforms may or may not include a webcam. If the OEM doesn't want to use the audio features offered by ACP, they don't have to include it in their design.
            At least AMD should obligate them to insert a label in the product page saying that it doesn't support ACP..
            In That way users buy what is advertised..

Because the reality is that users that go to buy AMD products which Include CPUs that support ACP, think by definition that it is included!
            And if its not included people will get mad with AMD,
            At the end its the AMD brand that looses credibility..

Comment

At least AMD should obligate them to insert a label in the product page saying that it doesn't support ACP..
              In That way users buy what is advertised..

Because the reality is that users that go to buy AMD products which Include CPUs that support ACP, think by definition that it is included!
              And if its not included people will get mad with AMD,
              At the end its the AMD brand that looses credibility..
              Isn't that what the system vendor's spec sheets are for? It lists what features/components the product contains. AMD APUs also contain integrated Ethernet, but many OEMs don't use it. AMD also makes dGPUs, but not every laptop contains a dGPU. Some OEMs use Realtek audio CODECs, others use Cirrus Logic. Each CODEC has different features. Some laptops have a webcam, some don't.

Comment

PCIe atomics are no longer required for ROCm
                Are you sure?
                So with RX 580 and Sandy Bridge (PCIe 2.0) I can install ROCm and use OpenCL higher than 1.2?

Comment

Originally posted by Stebs View Post
                  Are you sure?
                  So with RX 580 and Sandy Bridge (PCIe 2.0) I can install ROCm and use OpenCL higher than 1.2?
                  At least for gfx9 and 10. Not sure about older gfx IPs.

Comment

At least for gfx9 and 10. Not sure about older gfx IPs.
                    Tried it yesterday, the build via Arch AUR failed with no helpful errors, so I gave up. Well, mostly gave up OpenCL anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X