Raspberry Pi Sees Their First Price Increase Due To Supply Chain issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Sees Their First Price Increase Due To Supply Chain issues

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi Sees Their First Price Increase Due To Supply Chain issues

The ongoing supply chain issues across the semiconductor industry (and more broadly) are now impacting the Raspberry Pi operations for end-users/customers when it comes to pricing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Funny enough, I was just wondering about this, a couple days ago.

Comment

Pandemic
      Miners
      Apple

Comment

There's also inflation to consider, Raspberry Pi was first released over 9 years ago and the price of the base model was never updated.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Pandemic
          Miners
          Apple
          Only one of those really fits.

Pi v4 is made on 28 nm manufacturing technology. Miners are using stuff fabbed on 16 nm and below (mostly 12 nm, 8 nm, and 7 nm, I'm sure). Apple is already on 5 nm, and buying up capacity on 3 nm.

Now, there are two ways miners and Apple can indirectly influence availability of 28 nm. The first is by delaying other chips' transitions to smaller nodes, perhaps keeping some products on 28 nm longer than intended. That probably happens, but maybe not much? But the more serious impact is going to be competition for certain raw materials and other inputs. The current substrate shortage is one example of this.

Still, Pandemic gets the lion's share of the blame.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
            There's also inflation to consider, Raspberry Pi was first released over 9 years ago and the price of the base model was never updated.
            The economies of scale that they developed since then more than accounted for inflation.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

The economies of scale that they developed since then more than accounted for inflation.
              That’s a fair point. But they’ve also been upping the specs considerably since they first launched.

I think the manner in which they are doing it (reintroducing 1GB, charging $10 more for the 2GB) is pretty reasonable and they have such a strong following that I don’t think many will mind. (As long as it is hopefully temporary).

I still have my original Pi (2011.12, Model B, revision 2.0) which has 512MB and runs flawlessly currently as a pi-hole/pivpn, you name it. That thing is a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                I still have my original Pi (2011.12, Model B, revision 2.0) which has 512MB and runs flawlessly currently as a pi-hole/pivpn, you name it. That thing is a champion.
                That seemed to be the primary advantage of the Pi - it wasn't quite invulnerable (I watched someone cook one by wiring the GPIO up wrong and got a bollocking when I tried to point out before the magic smoke moment that when they applied power it was going to fry) but it was pretty close!

Comment

All kind of nodes are affected in the current scenario. Just look at the automotive industry. They are reducing production of popular models because they cannot find chips to put on those vehicles. I doubt very much things like traction control, electronic fuel injection or infotainment modules utilize advanced nodes.

Plus, is not just CPUs. Memory, connectors, SMDs, don't tell me the suppliers of those things didn't want to join the "I have supply chain issues so I have to increase my prices" bandwagon.
                  Last edited by M@GOid; 21 October 2021, 09:22 AM. Reason: engrish related.

Comment

told ya so :-/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imb_qbWtqew

Comment

Working...
                    X