• "ROG STRIX X470-I GAMING",
    • "ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING",

Support ASUS WSI asus_wmi_sensors:ec (checked little bit):
    • "ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO",
    • "ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO",
    • "ROG CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA",
    • "ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING",
    • "ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING",
    If you have any of unchecked boards (or not fully checked) or see any errors, could you post your board as bugzilla comment or here?

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by finalzone View Post
    Obvious attempt on flaming. ASUS has a list of distributions supporting their motherboard with Linux kernel and used to have hardware running exclusive on Linux (EEE PC netbook).
    I bought 1000 Eee PC netbooks instead of 1 Threadripper CPU + ASUS motherboard so I can do my compilation on fully-supported platform! :P

Do you think us Linux users really deserve such poor hardware while the Windows guys enjoy the latest stuff? Unfair!
    These devices are abandoned. Only Arch Linux 32 and openSUSE Tumbleweed (and a couple of other small dedicated distros) support these old things, and even so Tumbleweed does not have all packages in 32-bit repos so in order to set up this netbook I had to hack-install stuff like Audacity and oh don't talk to me about the kernel that would take a whole month to compile............

I remember one day I went to a store and every computer had Windows 8.1 installed except for *one* poor slow (lowest end processor ever, only 1GB RAM) machine... that happened to have Ubuntu on it. How insulting.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 22 September 2021, 10:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    tomas

Why? Primarily it's about my job, systems administration - it's easier to carry it out when your PC is running the same OS. I like control: in Windows there's just too little -there's a ton of stuff I cannot configure the way I want. Lastly, I've completely failed as a researcher/scientist, and Linux allows me to sort of do it by finding and reporting bugs (reported close to five hundred over the past 20 years). I was the impetus behind the inclusion of earlyoom in Fedora and many other distros which followed and then the development of systemd-oom. And despite all of that I've been banned on these forums three times already.

Speaking of control: Linux doesn't really give you that much of it. E.g. I loved KDE 3.5.10 and I'd want to continue to use it. Can I? No, Fedora doesn't have it. Windows 10 can be trivially made to look like Windows XP except for the control panel which I don't use that often. TDE is not an option for me (again, not available in Fedora) because I don't like the way it's being developed - it's almost closed source. Also the brain-damaged totally unnecessary Qt3 -> TQt3 transition killed it for me. No one asked for it, there were zero technical reasons for it, now zero mainstream distros offer TDE because instead of reviewing Qt3 patches they have to deal with completely "new" code in the form of TQt3. Hopefully the changes will be reverted and TDE could be revived as many consider it the best DE Linux has ever had.

I have no religious, read idiotic, reasons to run Linux. I don't run it because I think it gives you better privacy, or it's more secure (the Linux security model sucks and, in many ways, it's worse than in ridiculed Windows 10), or open source is "better" than closed source. It's different, but not necessarily better. At the same time I game exclusively in Windows 10.

Last edited by birdie; 20 September 2021, 12:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tomas
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    and ... operating systems. A good operating system is first of all very rich stable APIs and then a tight integration between components. Linux as an OS fails at both.
    Then why are you running Linux? Assuming that you are?

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by khnazile View Post

They still have some serious bugs power management / memory recklocking bugs: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/716

Feel free to use this weapon against "amd made a good opensource driver" myth.
    I've got so tired of fighting with open source fans, I just don't care any longer. To them Open Source is an absolutely perfect model of software development despite the real world showing something quite different. It's almost as if they've found their religion and there's no way you can change the opinion of someone who strongly believes in something. Logic, facts, common sense - nothing works, there'll always be an excuse why something is not perfect. A perfect game of blame of sorts. Go ask an average Christian why evil exists. They usually go into such depths of BS it's simply astounding.

It's not as if great open source don't exists, there's a ton of open source software which is just perfect (console utilities, web servers, databases, terminals, compilers and archivers, etc. etc. etc.). However there's just too many cases where Open Source model falls apart and that is interaction with hardware, games, specialized applications and ... operating systems. A good operating system is first of all very rich stable APIs and then a tight integration between components. Linux as an OS fails at both.

Leave a comment:

• khnazile
    replied

Yeah, AMD GPUs have had a ton of issues with power management up until recently despite having open source drivers written by AMD employees.
    They still have some serious bugs power management / memory recklocking bugs: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/716

Feel free to use this weapon against "amd made a good opensource driver" myth.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by mihau View Post
    I'm pretty sure my Asus Strix B550-I could be added to that list. Do I just send a patch to LKML to get it on there?
    Leave your comment here: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=204807

Leave a comment:

• gfunk
    replied

Not ASUS/AsRock/MSI/Gigabyte which leaves us with ... I've no idea. Does Intel still sell motherboards?
    Maybe a desktop sold by Dell or Lenovo, would at least get firmware through fwupd, not sure about addressing any motherboard issues though

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    moron, all distributions share same kernel and board vendors have an obligation to provide kernel drivers upstream
    SOAB, there is zero fucking obligation for board vendors to supply drivers to an OS they have zero intention of supporting.

And go enjoy your ABI breakages every fucking kernel release.
    Last edited by Sonadow; 20 September 2021, 04:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mihau
    replied
    I'm pretty sure my Asus Strix B550-I could be added to that list. Do I just send a patch to LKML to get it on there?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X