Linux 5.16 To Support Sensor Readings On More ASUS Motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    I'm not sure what is it that you're disappointed with. There's no such thing as "Linux" per se, vs. for instance Windows or MacOS. Linux is being advanced by companies which use it for their infrastructure and supporting a desktop motherboard is the least of their concerns or by individuals who want to dedicate their spare time to the things they use under Linux. It turns out there aren't that many skilled individuals with exactly your motherboard.

You signed up almost three years ago and you're talking as if you're totally new to Linux.
    Calm down. I've been writing kernel networking stack source code 20 years ago, it's not that I'm not familiar how OSS works.

I bet Linus didn't show his middle finger to Nvidia because he wasn't capable of writing software.

It's just that if I knew ASUS doesn't care about getting their HW supported in the kernel, I wouldn't have bought that HW.
    It's about time for HW companies to start providing drivers for their shit.
    Last edited by pkese; 19 September 2021, 12:37 PM. Reason: word order

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post

Calm down. I've been writing kernel networking stack source code 20 years ago, it's not that I'm not familiar how OSS works.

I bet Linus didn't show his middle finger to Nvidia because he wasn't capable of writing software.

It's just that if I knew ASUS doesn't care about getting their HW supported in the kernel, I wouldn't have bought that HW.
      It's about time for HW companies to start providing drivers for their shit.
      Does ASUS mention Linux even once on their website? Why would they support an OS from geeks for geeks? No promises, no support - they are quite clean IMO.

Comment

Does ASUS mention Linux even once on their website?
        Yes, actually they do:

ASUS is one of Fortune magazine’s World’s Most Admired Companies, and is dedicated to creating products for today and tomorrow’s smart life. Our comprehensive portfolio includes Zenbo, ZenFone, ZenBook and a range of IT devices and components, along with AR, VR and IoT. ASUS employs more than 17,000 people worldwide and over 5,500 world-class R&D talents. Driven by innovation and committed to quality, the company won 4,385 awards and earned approximately US$13.3 billion of revenue in 2016.

But that compatibility list is ridiculous. Listing antique Linux distributions like Ubuntu 12.04 or even older. WTH??!!
        I don't even know what it is meant to represent.

Comment

Does ASUS mention Linux even once on their website? Why would they support an OS from geeks for geeks? No promises, no support - they are quite clean IMO.
          Obvious attempt on flaming. ASUS has a list of distributions supporting their motherboard with Linux kernel and used to have hardware running exclusive on Linux (EEE PC netbook). Those geeks are potential customers and contributors willing to buy hardware to competitors supporting their effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post

Yes, actually they do:

ASUS is one of Fortune magazine’s World’s Most Admired Companies, and is dedicated to creating products for today and tomorrow’s smart life. Our comprehensive portfolio includes Zenbo, ZenFone, ZenBook and a range of IT devices and components, along with AR, VR and IoT. ASUS employs more than 17,000 people worldwide and over 5,500 world-class R&D talents. Driven by innovation and committed to quality, the company won 4,385 awards and earned approximately US$13.3 billion of revenue in 2016.

But that compatibility list is ridiculous. Listing antique Linux distributions like Ubuntu 12.04 or even older. WTH??!!
            I don't even know what it is meant to represent.
            That compatibility list represents the lower tested version of major distributions on each motherboard i.e. Fedora 29/Ubuntu 18.10 tested on PRIME X570-PRO.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
              Obvious attempt on flaming. ASUS has a list of distributions supporting their motherboard with Linux kernel and used to have hardware running exclusive on Linux (EEE PC netbook). Those geeks are potential customers and contributors willing to buy hardware to competitors supporting their effort.
              Even if all ASUS Linux users disappeared overnight, the company wouldn't feel it. I'm not attempting to flame, I'm admitting reality unlike lots of geeks here who believe the world owes them just because they've chosen a particular very marginal OS. What next? Haiku OS users proclaiming hardware vendors must support their OS as well? What other super-marginal OS'es do we have? Menuet OS? Hurd? What separates Linux users from all those OS'es exactly?

Have some modesty and try to admit no one owes you nothing. Maybe try to gently push Linux developers to add support for missing features or fix bugs. The very feature we are discussing here was requested by ... me. Yes. No one in that bug report, not a single Linux kernel developer, has made outrageous claims that ASUS owes anything to the Linux community.

The Windows/Linux notebook you've mentioned existed 14 years ago and it did support Linux. We are now talking about different products altogether, none of which come with Linux preinstalled.

Here's the last bit. The specs for my motherboard (and all others affected by this issue) do not mention Linux support at all:

"Operating System: Windows® 10 64-bit"

I'd be glad if companies erased Linux support from their support pages completely because if I were them I wouldn't want to have discussions like this one happening behind my back. This is just ugly and filthy.
              Last edited by birdie; 19 September 2021, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                Unfortunately, the lusers seem to think that board vendors have an obligation to make their hardware compatible with the clusterf**k of distributions.
                moron, all distributions share same kernel and board vendors have an obligation to provide kernel drivers upstream

Comment

Even if all ASUS Linux users disappeared overnight, the company wouldn't feel it. I'm not attempting to flame, I'm admitting reality unlike lots of self-entitled geeks here who believe the world owes them just because they've chosen a particular very marginal OS. What next? Haiku OS users proclaiming hardware vendors must support their OS as well? What other super-marginal OS'es do we have? Menuet OS? Hurd? What separates Linux users from all those OS'es exactly?
                  The focus is Linux as operating system widely used on nearly all category meaning potential money for vendors like ASUS. The development is on that system along with improvement of protocol and standardization of core elements happening at this time of writing. All listed what is practically a hobby OS benefits.

Have some modesty and try to admit no one owes you nothing. Maybe try to gently push Linux developers to add support for missing features or fix bugs. The very feature we are discussing here was requested by ... me. Yes. No one in that bug report, not a single Linux kernel developer, has made outrageous claims that ASUS owes anything to the Linux community.
                  I think we are on the same page at that part related to communication and patience.

Here's the last bit. The specs for my motherboard (and all others affected by this issue) do not mention Linux support at all:

"Operating System: Windows® 10 64-bit"
                  Typical Press Release. That motherboard is listed as compatible with Linux from ASUS own compatibility list page 12. Check the manual of your motherboard which mentions Linux kernel.
                  Last edited by finalzone; 19 September 2021, 05:33 PM. Reason: Fix url tag

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                    Check the manual of your motherboard which mentions Linux kernel.
                    No, nothing in the manual.

Speaking of being "compatible" (the PDF which everyone here refers to): that does not mean any motherboard features are guaranteed to work or be available under Linux. It only means Linux runs on this motherboard and your system is stable. It doesn't even guarantee it will run fast or support all the power management modes. Yeah, AMD GPUs have had a ton of issues with power management up until recently despite having open source drivers written by AMD employees. Likewise TGL CPUs have had troubles providing the level of performance available in Windows from the get go.

Compatible with Linux? Yes. Working properly and being fully supported? A whole different story.

Comment

Which motherboard company has the best Linux support then?

I have this sensor issue, was just looking for the fix yesterday after recently reinstalling. Glad its going to the kernel now. the Ethernet on these boards can be flaky too..

Comment

Working...
                      X