Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    No, nothing in the manual.
    The manual you reference makes no mention of Windows level of support either. The only specific information is about Windows 8 not being supported. Perhaps this manual is not a good source to judge ASUS' level of OS support.

Speaking of being "compatible" (the PDF which everyone here refers to): that does not mean any motherboard features are guaranteed to work or be available under Linux. It only means Linux runs on this motherboard and your system is stable. It doesn't even guarantee it will run fast or support all the power management modes.
    Now you're just making stuff up. When a manufacturer puts the word compatible next to their product name, it is reasonable for the customer to expect that the product will function as advertised. That includes health monitoring, performance, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
      Which motherboard company has the best Linux support then?

I have this sensor issue, was just looking for the fix yesterday after recently reinstalling. Glad its going to the kernel now. the Ethernet on these boards can be flaky too..
      Not ASUS/AsRock/MSI/Gigabyte which leaves us with ... I've no idea. Does Intel still sell motherboards?

Comment

I'm pretty sure my Asus Strix B550-I could be added to that list. Do I just send a patch to LKML to get it on there?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          moron, all distributions share same kernel and board vendors have an obligation to provide kernel drivers upstream
          SOAB, there is zero fucking obligation for board vendors to supply drivers to an OS they have zero intention of supporting.

And go enjoy your ABI breakages every fucking kernel release.
          Last edited by Sonadow; 20 September 2021, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Not ASUS/AsRock/MSI/Gigabyte which leaves us with ... I've no idea. Does Intel still sell motherboards?
            Maybe a desktop sold by Dell or Lenovo, would at least get firmware through fwupd, not sure about addressing any motherboard issues though

Comment

Originally posted by mihau View Post
              I'm pretty sure my Asus Strix B550-I could be added to that list. Do I just send a patch to LKML to get it on there?
              Leave your comment here: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=204807

Comment

Yeah, AMD GPUs have had a ton of issues with power management up until recently despite having open source drivers written by AMD employees.
                They still have some serious bugs power management / memory recklocking bugs: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/716

Feel free to use this weapon against "amd made a good opensource driver" myth.

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post

They still have some serious bugs power management / memory recklocking bugs: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/716

Feel free to use this weapon against "amd made a good opensource driver" myth.
                  I've got so tired of fighting with open source fans, I just don't care any longer. To them Open Source is an absolutely perfect model of software development despite the real world showing something quite different. It's almost as if they've found their religion and there's no way you can change the opinion of someone who strongly believes in something. Logic, facts, common sense - nothing works, there'll always be an excuse why something is not perfect. A perfect game of blame of sorts. Go ask an average Christian why evil exists. They usually go into such depths of BS it's simply astounding.

It's not as if great open source don't exists, there's a ton of open source software which is just perfect (console utilities, web servers, databases, terminals, compilers and archivers, etc. etc. etc.). However there's just too many cases where Open Source model falls apart and that is interaction with hardware, games, specialized applications and ... operating systems. A good operating system is first of all very rich stable APIs and then a tight integration between components. Linux as an OS fails at both.

Comment

and ... operating systems. A good operating system is first of all very rich stable APIs and then a tight integration between components. Linux as an OS fails at both.
                    Then why are you running Linux? Assuming that you are?

Comment

tomas

Why? Primarily it's about my job, systems administration - it's easier to carry it out when your PC is running the same OS. I like control: in Windows there's just too little -there's a ton of stuff I cannot configure the way I want. Lastly, I've completely failed as a researcher/scientist, and Linux allows me to sort of do it by finding and reporting bugs (reported close to five hundred over the past 20 years). I was the impetus behind the inclusion of earlyoom in Fedora and many other distros which followed and then the development of systemd-oom. And despite all of that I've been banned on these forums three times already.

Speaking of control: Linux doesn't really give you that much of it. E.g. I loved KDE 3.5.10 and I'd want to continue to use it. Can I? No, Fedora doesn't have it. Windows 10 can be trivially made to look like Windows XP except for the control panel which I don't use that often. TDE is not an option for me (again, not available in Fedora) because I don't like the way it's being developed - it's almost closed source. Also the brain-damaged totally unnecessary Qt3 -> TQt3 transition killed it for me. No one asked for it, there were zero technical reasons for it, now zero mainstream distros offer TDE because instead of reviewing Qt3 patches they have to deal with completely "new" code in the form of TQt3. Hopefully the changes will be reverted and TDE could be revived as many consider it the best DE Linux has ever had.

I have no religious, read idiotic, reasons to run Linux. I don't run it because I think it gives you better privacy, or it's more secure (the Linux security model sucks and, in many ways, it's worse than in ridiculed Windows 10), or open source is "better" than closed source. It's different, but not necessarily better. At the same time I game exclusively in Windows 10.

Last edited by birdie; 20 September 2021, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X