Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.14 Picks Up Support For A Tiny & Inexpensive MIPS IoT Single Board Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.14 Picks Up Support For A Tiny & Inexpensive MIPS IoT Single Board Computer

Phoronix: Linux 5.14 Picks Up Support For A Tiny & Inexpensive MIPS IoT Single Board Computer

The MIPS code within the Linux kernel remains in a mature but rather stagnate state while the upstream MIPS architecture development has ceased and most vendors these days using Arm or RISC-V instead or even OpenPOWER prospects. But there still are some ongoing MIPS improvements to the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I find these boards very interesting for tinkering, even with their low specs.

Comment

Rather uninteresting since it is a MIPS board. Then a Raspberry Zero is more interesting and appealing.
      It would be much more interesting if it was a RISC-V or ARM board.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        It would be much more interesting if it was a RISC-V or ARM board.
        Why? For someone who often makes a fuss about fully-open platforms, MIPS has gone a lot farther than ARM, so wouldn't you rather have this?
        Besides, I think there are already platforms of roughly this size with both RISC-V and ARM.

There's more to the SBC world than Raspberry Pis...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Why? For someone who often makes a fuss about fully-open platforms, MIPS has gone a lot farther than ARM, so wouldn't you rather have this?
          Besides, I think there are already platforms of roughly this size with both RISC-V and ARM.

There's more to the SBC world than Raspberry Pis...
          I thought MIPS announced that they were going open source, but then changed their minds and didn't.

I think ARM and MIPS are equally closed.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I thought MIPS announced that they were going open source, but then changed their minds and didn't.

I think ARM and MIPS are equally closed.
            The R6 architecture is, to my understanding, open-source.

I believe one of the reasons China and Russia have been using MIPS is specifically because it's open source, but more mature than RISC-V. By having access to the whole architecture, they don't have to worry about backdoors, while inserting their own.

Comment

Working...
            X