Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.14 Picks Up Support For A Tiny & Inexpensive MIPS IoT Single Board Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I thought MIPS announced that they were going open source, but then changed their minds and didn't.

I think ARM and MIPS are equally closed.
    The R6 architecture is, to my understanding, open-source.
    https://www.mips.com/mipsopen/
    I believe one of the reasons China and Russia have been using MIPS is specifically because it's open source, but more mature than RISC-V. By having access to the whole architecture, they don't have to worry about backdoors, while inserting their own.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Why? For someone who often makes a fuss about fully-open platforms, MIPS has gone a lot farther than ARM, so wouldn't you rather have this?
    Besides, I think there are already platforms of roughly this size with both RISC-V and ARM.

There's more to the SBC world than Raspberry Pis...
    I thought MIPS announced that they were going open source, but then changed their minds and didn't.

I think ARM and MIPS are equally closed.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    It would be much more interesting if it was a RISC-V or ARM board.
    Why? For someone who often makes a fuss about fully-open platforms, MIPS has gone a lot farther than ARM, so wouldn't you rather have this?
    Besides, I think there are already platforms of roughly this size with both RISC-V and ARM.

There's more to the SBC world than Raspberry Pis...

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Rather uninteresting since it is a MIPS board. Then a Raspberry Zero is more interesting and appealing.
    It would be much more interesting if it was a RISC-V or ARM board.

Leave a comment:

• doragasu
    replied
    I find these boards very interesting for tinkering, even with their low specs.

Leave a comment:

• Linux 5.14 Picks Up Support For A Tiny & Inexpensive MIPS IoT Single Board Computer

Phoronix: Linux 5.14 Picks Up Support For A Tiny & Inexpensive MIPS IoT Single Board Computer

The MIPS code within the Linux kernel remains in a mature but rather stagnate state while the upstream MIPS architecture development has ceased and most vendors these days using Arm or RISC-V instead or even OpenPOWER prospects. But there still are some ongoing MIPS improvements to the Linux kernel...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...inux-5.14-MIPS
Working...
X