X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    asus is "evaluating", gigabyte is "testing". i think they do this several years already
    Yeah, I see the same. Disappointing really especially for the 'workstation' boards that these vendors try to sell.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by mppix View Post
    Stupid question: is there any consumer motherboard/brand that is supported?
    asus is "evaluating", gigabyte is "testing". i think they do this several years already

Leave a comment:

• Rob72
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Lucky you, 'cause my much newer ThinkPad from 2018 isn't supported at all, despite the fact that Lenovo *does* still publish updates on their support site for it. So clearly it *is* supported, but not through FWUPD. Big fail.
    You sound a bit disgruntled... What model ThinkPad do you have?

In any case as far as I know, Lenovo started to support firmware updates from Linux with the X1 models, since they are the top models. It was probably around 2018 when it suddenly started getting updates with fwupdmgr. But even with the T14s I got last year, it wasn't until earlier this year that I suddenly started getting updates.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob72 View Post
    It really depends on the hardware you have. Most consumer hardware is not supported.

But I have been able to do firmware updates on several Lenovo ThinkPad models, including an X1 Yoga Gen 1 from 2016, but also a newer T14s Gen 1, X13 Gen 1, a L13 Gen 2 and a ThinkPad dock.

Other then ThinkPads, the only device I found update-able has been a Logitech wireless mouse dongle.
    Lucky you, 'cause my much newer ThinkPad from 2018 isn't supported at all, despite the fact that Lenovo *does* still publish updates on their support site for it. So clearly it *is* supported, but not through FWUPD. Big fail.

Leave a comment:

• Rob72
    replied
    It really depends on the hardware you have. Most consumer hardware is not supported.

But I have been able to do firmware updates on several Lenovo ThinkPad models, including an X1 Yoga Gen 1 from 2016, but also a newer T14s Gen 1, X13 Gen 1, a L13 Gen 2 and a ThinkPad dock.

Other then ThinkPads, the only device I found update-able has been a Logitech wireless mouse dongle.

Leave a comment:

• Space Heater
    replied
    Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
    Has anyone actually found something to update?
    Originally posted by mppix View Post
    Here is the list of currently supported devices. Specific device support depends almost entirely on the hardware vendor.

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
    It has been a total fail for me.

I tried it on two DELL XPS 13 laptops, couldn't find even a single firmware for all that hardware, then I tried it on several Fedora desktops running typical Intel i7 hardware, again nothing to update, even tried it on a gaming desktop with all sorts of bells and whistles (samsung SSD, samsung NVME, integrated water cooling, radeon graphics card etc), again nothing found, no firmware.

Has anyone actually found something to update?
    Dell XPS 13. Supported devices on my model are: system firmware, UEFI dbx, and NVMe drive.

Leave a comment:

• Syfer
    replied
    I've found UEFI updates for my Inspiron 15 Gaming, from ~2017. For a while it was keeping up with Dells website, but then in 2019 one update was missing for 3 months. I posted a bug on the fwupd Github, fwupd referred me to dell's fwupd firmware bug tracker and dell added the firmware the same week as I posted the bug.

I'd say that's decent support - it was nice to have more visbility into updates. Normally Dell suggests subscribing to email alerts about firmware updates

Leave a comment:

• bash2bash
    replied
    No idea the exact model, but they are much older, probably 6 years old? Their BIOS is from 2019.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X