No announcement yet.

FWUPD 1.6.1 Adds FreeBSD UEFI Capsule Handling, More Hardware Now Supported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It really depends on the hardware you have. Most consumer hardware is not supported.

But I have been able to do firmware updates on several Lenovo ThinkPad models, including an X1 Yoga Gen 1 from 2016, but also a newer T14s Gen 1, X13 Gen 1, a L13 Gen 2 and a ThinkPad dock.

Other then ThinkPads, the only device I found update-able has been a Logitech wireless mouse dongle.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob72 View Post
      It really depends on the hardware you have. Most consumer hardware is not supported.

But I have been able to do firmware updates on several Lenovo ThinkPad models, including an X1 Yoga Gen 1 from 2016, but also a newer T14s Gen 1, X13 Gen 1, a L13 Gen 2 and a ThinkPad dock.

Other then ThinkPads, the only device I found update-able has been a Logitech wireless mouse dongle.
      Lucky you, 'cause my much newer ThinkPad from 2018 isn't supported at all, despite the fact that Lenovo *does* still publish updates on their support site for it. So clearly it *is* supported, but not through FWUPD. Big fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Lucky you, 'cause my much newer ThinkPad from 2018 isn't supported at all, despite the fact that Lenovo *does* still publish updates on their support site for it. So clearly it *is* supported, but not through FWUPD. Big fail.
        You sound a bit disgruntled... What model ThinkPad do you have?

In any case as far as I know, Lenovo started to support firmware updates from Linux with the X1 models, since they are the top models. It was probably around 2018 when it suddenly started getting updates with fwupdmgr. But even with the T14s I got last year, it wasn't until earlier this year that I suddenly started getting updates.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
          Stupid question: is there any consumer motherboard/brand that is supported?
          asus is "evaluating", gigabyte is "testing". i think they do this several years already

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            asus is "evaluating", gigabyte is "testing". i think they do this several years already
            Yeah, I see the same. Disappointing really especially for the 'workstation' boards that these vendors try to sell.

Comment

Working...
            X