No announcement yet.

AMI Is Getting Involved With Open-Source Firmware Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the subject of BIOS and fun company names from late last century: one of the BIOS suppliers was Microid Research, with a product named Mr BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Don't forget Mega Man!
      How about Ultimate Play the Game... the company that became Rareware and then Rare?

(Wikipedia is a little hazy about the progression. It might have been that the guys who were UPtG ended the company and then started Rareware the following year rather than renaming it.)
      Last edited by ssokolow; 12 May 2021, 08:31 PM.

Comment

FWTS is a diagnostic tool which allows to check both uefi/bios features and hardware specifications. Couldn't be used to fix errors and provide new updates such as security fix to a specific machine?

Comment

Ah, good old AMI. Yeah, back in the days of 486 I was greeted with 80x25 American Megatrends Incorporated. Back in the days that sounded pretty neat.
          Murica now still needs a long way to go to redeem its old "coolness" factor.

Interesting to see their engagement, but yes, maybe it will be big servers only yet.

"Intel is currently one of the top-pushing companies in the open-source firmware space."
          I must have missed something. Last time I check they were dis-supporting Coreboot to push their crappy UEFI and all those ME chips.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Interesting, I wonder what sort of business conditions cause AMI to have interest in this. Maybe board firmware licensing revenue has hit rock bottom.

Comment

Is this for x86/x86-64 or for some other platform?

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                Ah, good old AMI. Yeah, back in the days of 486 I was greeted with 80x25 American Megatrends Incorporated. Back in the days that sounded pretty neat.
                Funny enough, all my childhood machines were either Phoenix BIOS or IBM BIOS. (IBM PC, XT, or AT (can't remember which), followed by a generic 386, followed by a sequence of retired office Thinkpads, followed by a 233MHz HP Pavilion 8016, followed by homebuilt ATX stuff.)

Comment

title got me excited for a bit, but then i read the article and it looks like subj isn't targeted at retail customers, i.e. of little interest to the general public

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    American Megatrends. Epic Megagames. The 80s and early 90s had fun company names.
                    they are dwarfed by gigabyte technology

Comment

Working...
                    X