FWUPD 1.6 Released For Latest Linux Firmware Updating Capabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWUPD 1.6 Released For Latest Linux Firmware Updating Capabilities

Phoronix: FWUPD 1.6 Released For Latest Linux Firmware Updating Capabilities

Version 1.6 of FWUPD is now available for firmware updating of motherboard BIOS and other device firmware under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is the idea that this also will be used for consumer motherboard bios updates? Or is it more for laptops or industrial devices?

Comment

Sadly, no desktop motherboard support fwupd. I find it disappointing to not see Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI, etc support fwupd.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Sadly, no desktop motherboard support fwupd. I find it disappointing to not see Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI, etc support fwupd.
        This is the problem, we need more motherboard vendors onboard. This is a great idea and will help Linux “look” more professional but that only if we can buy products that use FWUPD.

on the otherhand I’m pretty sure many vendors like HP don’t give dAmn when it comes to firmware support. It really looks like we have run into a situation where vendors don’t want to support their hardware.

Comment

It would be great to have motherboards with fwupd support. But if I see how bad the MSI firmware upgrade works, I dont't have a lot of hope and trust. It looses all setting after an upgrade, it won't boot without user interaction, RAM training can take a lot of time, setup entries in the menu are gone and my Ryzen 3900 was freezing one time quite a lot after after an upgrade :-(

Comment

There are three ways to update UEFI on my HP notebook and all three need windows. A zip file with a .bin and a .sig file would be sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              This is the problem, we need more motherboard vendors onboard.
              of coreboot

Comment

I believe motherboard manufacturers want to rely on tools they get from the bios company. So likely this needs to be officially supported by the bios vendors first.
                No?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  So the article claims it's a "triumphant success with growing industry adoption from major hardware vendors" and yet no normal person can use it? :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Schugy View Post
                    There are three ways to update UEFI on my HP notebook and all three need windows. A zip file with a .bin and a .sig file would be sufficient.
                    Uhm no, UEFI on HP laptops can self-update from an ethernet connection, not needing any OS. I'd still like fwupd support though.

Comment

Working...
                    X