X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melcar
    replied
    Originally posted by umar3912 View Post
    I have found out from my research and reviews that ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wi-Fi will continue to be one of the best for Linux in 2021.
    OR
    the following option is also available: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/AC to use.

What makes those boards particularly "best for Linux"?

Leave a comment:

• umar3912
    replied
    I have found out from my research and reviews that ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wi-Fi will continue to be one of the best for Linux in 2021.
    OR
    the following option is also available: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/AC to use.

Leave a comment:

• danboid
    replied
    I asked System76 where they're up to with this:

"At this time, we offer Coreboot on several of our laptop models and laptops with 10th generation Intel processors ship with Intel ME disabled. We are currently unable to disable Intel ME on 11th generation processors. When we are able to disable IME on 11th gen, we will release a firmware update for those models, although we do not have an estimate for when this will be.

We are unable to offer Coreboot or disable Intel ME or AMD PSP on our desktop models at this time."

So maybe a System76 10th gen Intel based laptop is my only real choice for a more secure, modern x86 machine currently?

Leave a comment:

• danboid
    started a topic 'Best' AM4 mobo for Linux in 2021

'Best' AM4 mobo for Linux in 2021

I'm thinking about buying a AM4 socket mobo to mainly run (Ubuntu+Arch) Linux on. I am going to get one of the Ryzen 5 APUs at first then might upgrade to a R9 CPU later.

So what is the best AM4 socket mobo for a Linux user? I have heard that some Asrock mobos allow you to disable the PSP 'security' stuff? I would love to have such a feature as I don't watch Netflix nor do I play any modern games and I'd rather not wave the lettered agencies and co in so easily. Apparently PSP or whatever AMD call it isn't as insecure and shifty as Intel's ME, ME allows invisible monitoring of the NICs so I hear.

Apart from that I want 2x m.2 slots onboard and ideally both would be PCIe 4.0 or newer.

Any recommendations?
Working...
X