Clear All

• birdie
    replied
    Or this:

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by calc View Post

You say 'CPU', the sensors of which are supported in the kernel directly, and then immediately conflate it with whatever pos motherboard you chose to put it in, whose additional sensors are often not supported.

HWiNFO64 is able to monitor so many different motherboards likely due the vendors directly providing the developer information on how to do it. I seriously doubt Martin, the guy that writes HWiNFO64, buys every board in existence to add support for it. And those same vendors refuse to provide any information to Linux developers.

Perhaps you really don't know what you are talking about in general.
    You're so full of crap, it's cringeworthy. Here, take this:

And under Linux:

$ sensors
    k10temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    Tctl: +34.0°C
    Tdie: +34.0°C
    Tccd1: +33.8°C

Unfortunately with that I have to blacklist you because I understand what I'm talking about and you, with your fanatical attitude, is frothing at your mouth and know so little I have no desire to argue.

Leave a comment:

• Melcar
    replied
    More like hardware vendors provide the info for the Windows drivers, which HWiNFO64 leverages. But yeah, point is that information is scarce in Linux for this type of stuff and often has to be reverse engineered.
    We don't even have robust software based fan control in Linux even. The is fancontrol, but that's old, I doubt it gets much of any updates, and has several bugs. Last I checked there were a couple of solutions being worked on, but honestly I haven't bothered to look since these days most uefi provide adequate fan control. At least AMD has provided enough documentation on their video cards to be able to control their fans.

Leave a comment:

• calc
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    I mean take for instance the CPU - a computer component without which nothing works. Are Intel and AMD CPUs properly supported under Linux? Well, you can use them for sure but what about monitoring? lm-sensors monitor like 5% of what HWiNFO64 provides.
    You say 'CPU', the sensors of which are supported in the kernel directly, and then immediately conflate it with whatever pos motherboard you chose to put it in, whose additional sensors are often not supported.

HWiNFO64 is able to monitor so many different motherboards likely due the vendors directly providing the developer information on how to do it. I seriously doubt Martin, the guy that writes HWiNFO64, buys every board in existence to add support for it. And those same vendors refuse to provide any information to Linux developers.

Perhaps you really don't know what you are talking about in general.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied

You've clearly have used Linux for long enough to know that's true as you have had a Phoronix account since 2008.

I've been using Linux for 26 years, I just don't like creating accounts everywhere. While you don't have to write drivers as often as when I started using Linux, when there weren't drivers for nearly anything, it is still a common occurrence when you intentionally choose unsupported hardware.
    I've used Linux long enough to have learned that it often doesn't support what it claims to support and this "support" often means there are kernel modules, or CUPS filters, or sane libraries for something - it means nothing in terms how well it works and if it works at outside of what a particular developer has coded.

I mean take for instance the CPU - a computer component without which nothing works. Are Intel and AMD CPUs properly supported under Linux? Well, you can use them for sure but what about monitoring? lm-sensors monitor like 5% of what HWiNFO64 provides.

So, sorry, Linux support on average just means a particular device basic features will work. That's it. That's a sad story really.

Leave a comment:

• calc
    replied

Who said that?
    You've clearly have used Linux for long enough to know that's true as you have had a Phoronix account since 2008.

I've been using Linux for 26 years, I just don't like creating accounts everywhere. While you don't have to write drivers as often as when I started using Linux, when there weren't drivers for nearly anything, it is still a common occurrence when you intentionally choose unsupported hardware.

Leave a comment:

• Melcar
    replied

Who said that?
    That has been an unspoken assumption for years (and a bit of a joke too at times). Maybe not as far as making their own drivers, but know where to look for third party drivers or are comfortable with compiling code. Very few hardware vendors support anything besides Windows and MacOS, and when they do it's usually unofficially (with third party developers). One is expected to buy hardware that is reported as working with Linux (or at least their favorite distro) if they want a pleasant experience. If you don't, then I hope they purposely made that choice and know how to get support.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied

eh?

The ASUS users just need to take the current asus-wmi-sensors driver and update it for their board, nbd.

Linux users expect to have to write drivers when they buy unsupported hardware, I've written several myself.
    Who said that?

Leave a comment:

• calc
    replied
    Meanwhile ASUS users are screwed.
    eh?

The ASUS users just need to take the current asus-wmi-sensors driver and update it for their board, nbd.

Linux users expect to have to write drivers when they buy unsupported hardware, I've written several myself.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Type "sensors" in the terminal. I posted my terminal output in the last thread. This added the gigabyte_wmi-virtual-0 entries.
    I use another kind of motherboard getting few useless data.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X