Linux Looks To Finally Remove Its Legacy IDE Driver Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adarion View Post

Well, this is what people usually tend to say. "Yeah, come on, just use some old SW for your old HW".
    Yeah, that's what I say about once a month on here. Nobody is forcing you to run ancient hardware. Nobody is forcing you to not run it because the software is old.
    Last edited by NateHubbard; 20 March 2021, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

Yeah, that's what I say about once a month on here. Nobody is forcing you to run ancient hardware. Nobody is forcing you to not run it because the software is old.
      Actually in some cases attached hardware may represent your income... and now you are faced with the choice of secure software or $$.

If there are legit shortfalls of the surviving driver, this is likely a good time to create clear bug reports and offer your time for diagnostic testing and validation of fixes.

Comment

Goodbye hda, hdb, hdc and hdd :-(

Comment

Well, this is what people usually tend to say. "Yeah, come on, just use some old SW for your old HW". That will work at the moment, but you'll then never be able to participate from new kernel infrastructure, newly added drivers or other improvements that could be relevant for your HW, bug and security fixes and so on. So this is quite a mixed bag.
          (However, I also understand that not all kernel devs do have time and HW access to test the big bunch of HW that is supported by the kernel.)
          Don't know. Seen some rather important businesses using old SW with old HW.

I definitely don't understand people who want to use eg 20 year old hardware and have the latest SW. Just buy new HW lol. Its 20 years old. That's a whole different world. I have a 20+ year old computer sitting here and do not attempt to put stuff from today on it. 10 years I will simply because its 4 core, etc and many computers are still sold with less performance but there's a point where it doesn't make sense.
          Last edited by ix900; 20 March 2021, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlDunsmuir View Post

Actually in some cases attached hardware may represent your income... and now you are faced with the choice of secure software or $$.

If there are legit shortfalls of the surviving driver, this is likely a good time to create clear bug reports and offer your time for diagnostic testing and validation of fixes.
            I'm betting this kind of hardware ( >10 years old) is being used by enthusiasts mostly. Especially if they are running Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
              I definitely don't understand people who want to use eg 20 year old hardware and have the latest SW. Just buy new HW lol.
              Or just buy cheap used hardware that is old, but not ancient.

Comment

Well, I know there are still quite a few machines out there using IDE drives, at least in schools, especially underfunded pre-schools, etc. In fact I've built quite a few systems over the decades for those who can't afford new computers by cobbling together whatever I have in various drawers and other storage areas, as it's still a viable way to provide computers for free. However I have to say it's been over a year since I built the last one, as most kids demand tablets and/or laptops now.

So I guess so long as libata will get people by for another few years this is probably the best way to handle it. The kind of potpourri desktops I'm describing are going to suffer various terminal failures as more time goes by, and I imagine most will be gone in another five years or so.

It is kind of sad to see another era end though.

Comment

Well, this is what people usually tend to say. "Yeah, come on, just use some old SW for your old HW". That will work at the moment, but you'll then never be able to participate from new kernel infrastructure, newly added drivers or other improvements that could be relevant for your HW, bug and security fixes and so on. So this is quite a mixed bag.
                  (However, I also understand that not all kernel devs do have time and HW access to test the big bunch of HW that is supported by the kernel.)
                  How often do you find yourself using such an old system and connecting something new to it? This is assuming the device is even physically compatible.
                  How often do the bug and security fixes actually affect older hardware in any relevant way at all?

The way I see it, if you're using a platform old enough to warrant the legacy IDE driver, every time you get a kernel update, you're just slowly taking up space with nothing to gain. Space that ironically, those old IDE drives likely don't have much of.
                  I'm sure you could run the 3.xx kernel and be largely unaffected.

Much of the reason for using legacy hardware is for legacy software.

Comment

I get frustrated using an SATA HDD instead of an SSD so I can't imagine how annoying it would be speed wise using an IDE HDD in this day and age.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

Don't know. Seen some rather important businesses using old SW with old HW.

I definitely don't understand people who want to use eg 20 year old hardware and have the latest SW. Just buy new HW lol. Its 20 years old. That's a whole different world. I have a 20+ year old computer sitting here and do not attempt to put stuff from today on it. 10 years I will simply because its 4 core, etc and many computers are still sold with less performance but there's a point where it doesn't make sense.
                      Often its not about the HW itself you want to use, it is a bigger System where the HW is only a single part you cant change. If you speak about production machines, medical devices or even simple stuff like billing machines you no more say "just buy new, lol".

Comment

Working...
                      X