Linux Looks To Finally Remove Its Legacy IDE Driver Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post
    I get frustrated using an SATA HDD instead of an SSD so I can't imagine how annoying it would be speed wise using an IDE HDD in this day and age.
    It makes no difference. The big impact of (rotating) HDDs is the latency, which you will experience with both SATA and IDE likewise.
    If you have old machinery, why not grab a direct-plug SATA-IDE bridge so you can attach SATA-SSDs to an onboard IDE pinout.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post

Well, this is what people usually tend to say. "Yeah, come on, just use some old SW for your old HW". That will work at the moment, but you'll then never be able to participate from new kernel infrastructure, newly added drivers or other improvements that could be relevant for your HW, bug and security fixes and so on. So this is quite a mixed bag.
      (However, I also understand that not all kernel devs do have time and HW access to test the big bunch of HW that is supported by the kernel.)
      well it looks like Kernel 5.4 will be supported until the end of 2025. https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html These should receive security related backports, and fixes to other serious bugs, but no new features. So yes, it's unlikely you'll be able to use that AMD7900XT GPU in your M68K based machine in the future. I mean that's assuming that you have any modern hardware that can be plugged into a M68K machine in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
        It makes no difference. The big impact of (rotating) HDDs is the latency, which you will experience with both SATA and IDE likewise.
        If you have old machinery, why not grab a direct-plug SATA-IDE bridge so you can attach SATA-SSDs to an onboard IDE pinout.
        care to show me a reasonable cost 8TB Sata SSD? a WD red and Seagate Ironwolf are about $200USD right now on newegg. If there is a 8TB SSD on the market for less than $400 with similar duty ratings (soho nas) i'll eat my hat.

Comment

Originally posted by cynyr View Post
          I get frustrated using an SATA HDD [...] I can't imagine how annoying it would be speed wise using an IDE HDD in this day and age.
          It makes no difference [... just grab a SATA SSD anyway]
          care to show me a reasonable cost 8TB Sata SSD? a WD red and Seagate Ironwolf are about $200USD right now on newegg. If there is a 8TB SSD on the market for less than $400 with similar duty ratings (soho nas) i'll eat my hat.
          Ah. My comment was not attempting to suggest SSDs for movie archives. The lowest SATA is rated for up to 150MB/s, the highest IDE HDD UDMA is rated for up to 133 MB/s. It's 11%, but it's not that bad. Though, I can't imagine anyone having masses of data on IDE in this day and age, and such machines probably only exist for historic reasons, and only see an occassional boot or so -- and that is a pattern dominated by random I/O, and random IO on sucks equally on rotational media.

Comment

No! No! Oh, hell, noooooo!!

Comment

Working...
            X