FWUPD Is Being Ported To The BSDs To Handle Firmware Updating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    you clearly missed presentation by greg kroah-hartman about linux having best hardware support of any os in history. presentation from 2006 afair.
    Except that really depends on the hardware and with consumer desktops and laptops the best support comes with Windows.
    It may suck, but it's still true

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
      Except that really depends on the hardware and with consumer desktops and laptops the best support comes with Windows.
      on all hardware in total linux has better support. average hardware just works in lunux and requires searching internet for downloads on windows. support for laptops comes with laptop vendors rather than windows, just select one supporting linux

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        on all hardware in total linux has better support. average hardware just works in lunux and requires searching internet for downloads on windows. support for laptops comes with laptop vendors rather than windows, just select one supporting linux
        Yes of course, and if you take into account smartphones, smart TVs, servers, and IoT devices I'd say that not only Linux has the best HW support, but that's also the most used OS.

Also, nowadays Windows Update takes care of installing almost all the drivers. You search for stuff only if something is not working.
        And say you have to search online for a driver, usually it results in launching a setup and clicking Next a few times.
        Support for laptops may come from vendors, but I have yet to see a laptop that supports Linux, but not Windows.

Anyway, the point here is that RedEyed clearly intended the desktop world.
        Denying that Windows has way better HW support on the desktop is sticking the head in the sand.

Comment

Denying that Windows has way better HW support on the desktop is sticking the head in the sand.
          Unfortunately, most people here (and most desktop Linux users in general) are doing exactly that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Unfortunately, most people here (and most desktop Linux users in general) are doing exactly that.
            I can understand that. Last year I had to install Windows in a laptop, and a lot of drivers where not found after install. Had to spend a good couple of days hunting down drivers (Trust, Dell website didn't help much). Sure, everything worked after those days, but it was a painful experience. Compare that to having to just activate a driver in he kernel and compile it!

Comment

I always thought that including Linux in the service name was a mistake because it limited it to just the Linux platform for firmware updates. Whilst it's nice to see BSD getting a port (which might uncover fixes that would help both platforms), the real porting target should be Windows. Vendors who switched their updates to use fwupd on Windows could then cover Linux and BSD for little or no extra cost. It would be a huge win for Linux/BSD users and I don't understand why a Windows version isn't a top priority.

Comment

Originally posted by rklrkl View Post
                I don't understand why a Windows version isn't a top priority.
                Every release has a Windows installer too: e.g. fwupd-1.5.5-setup-x86_64.exe -- it's deliberately console-only, and only a subset of the plugins are built (no udev in Windows), but I know for a fact at least one major OEM is using the windows build to flash firmware in a factory somewhere. If someone wanted to make a GUI installer which used those binaries/dlls that would be great but it's not something I want to do as a Red Hat employee...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Ha, and I'm reading this like 30 minutes after trying to use some pos software to update the firmware on my earbuds. And failing to even start the process. Don't worry, I won't name names, you can rest easy 1more.
                  please say it...

Comment

This is only true if Windows is pre-installed. Which is how we generally encounter it. It has been a while, but a new install where you have to hunt down drivers is no fun thing.

Saying that, having drivers that can be hunted down is better than having no drivers available, but it has been a long time since I encountered that.

Comment

Originally posted by hughsie View Post
                      Every release has a Windows installer too
                      Except it does seem to be treated as a second class platform (subset of features, no GUI). Like it or not, fwupd needs to succeed on Windows just as much as Linux - hardware vendors are going to be unwilling to support two radically different methods of firmware updaters (Windows bespoke .exe/.msi updater vs. fwupd). Take Asus for example - a very popular vendor of both motherboards and pre-builts and yet they've been "evaluating" fwupd for, what, 2+ years now?

What we really need is hardware vendors to push fwupd as their official firmware updater on Windows (i.e. have it for download on their site/included on any driver CD [does anyone ship those any more?!]/pre-installed on shipped machines). Once some of the big OEMs are on board, smaller ones will follow and suddenly the fwupd firmware update repository grows exponentially - a big win for Linux users. I don't use fwupd on my Linux desktop because almost none of the firmware on it is supported by it at the moment :-(
                      Last edited by rklrkl; 09 February 2021, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X