Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWUPD Is Being Ported To The BSDs To Handle Firmware Updating

Phoronix: FWUPD Is Being Ported To The BSDs To Handle Firmware Updating

With the incredible success of FWUPD and the Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) where most major hardware vendors are supporting it in some capacity for distributing firmware updates to Linux customers, there are BSD developers working to it port it over to their camp to support firmware updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i can quickly do it for free by installing linux instead of bsd

Comment

Saying like you: You can just install Windows and have the best hardware support.

IMHO: The point of this article is that fwupdate is becoming popular not only in linux.
      ​​​​​

PS: If people use BSD instead of linux, then they have reasons for that, like why people here use linux instead of windows.

Comment

This is good news. The more OS's that adopt it the more likely vendors are to support it.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          I don't know why you'd want to subject yourself to that.

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post
            Saying like you: You can just install Windows and have the best hardware support.
            you clearly missed presentation by greg kroah-hartman about linux having best hardware support of any os in history. presentation from 2006 afair.
            IMHO: The point of this article is that fwupdate is becoming popular not only in linux.​​​​​
            you mean linux vendor firmware service becoming popular not only in linux. article also mentions they'll have to reimplement chunks of linux instead just using linux like everyone else
            PS: If people use BSD instead of linux, then they have reasons for that
            of course they have reasons, but not every reason is worthy
            Last edited by pal666; 07 February 2021, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drjohnnyfever View Post
              I don't know why you'd want to subject yourself to that.
              you don't know much, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                This is good news. The more OS's that adopt it the more likely vendors are to support it.
                it only works when "other os" is "windows"

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  you don't know much, do you?
                  ** slow clap **

Comment

Ha, and I'm reading this like 30 minutes after trying to use some pos software to update the firmware on my earbuds. And failing to even start the process. Don't worry, I won't name names, you can rest easy 1more.

Comment

Working...
                    X