Linux 5.12 To Allow Voltage/Temperature Reporting On Some ASRock Motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
    I'd like to know why the kernel maintainers reject reverse engineered sensor drivers. Are they that worried about HWINFO suing them or something? Where do they think HWINFO on Windows got the data? They likely ripped it out of the Gigabyte or ASUS motherboard drivers themselves.
    Because Guenther Roeck is a very strange maintainer. He loves to reject (or even remove pre-existing) stuff for no good reason because he just feels like it, and hold submissions to unnecessarily, over-the-top high standards in an area that's just by tradition consists mostly of reverse-engineering and guesswork. Honestly I just think that he got burned out by non-constructive feedback somewhere along the way, and by now he's just making a disservice to the subsystem (i. e. makes his own life easier at the expense of the users').

I mean, if the rest of Linux was rejecting reverse-engineered stuff on the grounds that "I cannot verify that it is correct", we wouldn't have a Linux by now.
    Last edited by intelfx; 23 January 2021, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
      My X570 Pro4 had this working since at least a year now, probably uses a different Nuvoton chip...
      Yes, it's got a NCT6798 (driver nct6776).

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
        Because Guenther Roeck is a very strange maintainer. He loves to reject (or even remove pre-existing) stuff for no good reason because he just feels like it,
        Is he related to Jack Dorsey?

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Because Guenther Roeck is a very strange maintainer. He loves to reject (or even remove pre-existing) stuff for no good reason because he just feels like it, and hold submissions to unnecessarily, over-the-top high standards in an area that's just by tradition consists mostly of reverse-engineering and guesswork. Honestly I just think that he got burned out by non-constructive feedback somewhere along the way, and by now he's just making a disservice to the subsystem (i. e. makes his own life easier at the expense of the users').

I mean, if the rest of Linux was rejecting reverse-engineered stuff on the grounds that "I cannot verify that it is correct", we wouldn't have a Linux by now.
          Then why nobody replaces him by a more competent maintaner? This is very ridicule and shameful!

Linus, please blame him. Please stop being a corporate whore and move your fat ass.

Comment

Originally posted by syrjala View Post
            A real shame Microsoft didn't mandate some standard ACPI/etc. interface for this stuff decades ago.
            Blame Intel. It's their spec. They intentionally made it vague and large parts of it up to hardware vendors with predictable (and predicted by many people including myself at the time of original publication) results. This is why nearly every OS implements Intel's ACPI tables except OpenBSD. OpenBSD's tables aren't always compatible with various devices, especially laptops, because of it. I have an HP laptop that won't run OpenBSD because booting it will cause a thermal shutdown. Linux is fine. Microsoft probably doesn't really have a lot to do with it. They use Intel's ACPI tables and the OEMs install their own tweaks.

Not everything wrong in PC land is Microsoft's fault.

Comment

really makes no sense how aida64 and hwinfo most of the time gets support before newer boards even come out but linux struggles. i have a msi z490 unify now after i switched back to intel and the only motherboard related sensors that work are the "pch_cometlake" and "acpitz-acpi-0" that's labeled as temp1 which i have no clue what is. i can rule it out being a cpu socket sensor as its never aligns with my cpu temp changes.

everything else are the sensors off my nvme drives (3x of them) and my 10850k intel sensors. no fan, no voltage, no vrm's, nothing else. don't even get the other stuff hwinfo shows like if my 10850k is thermal throttling, thermal boost 3 throttling, its current c-state, etc. it really makes testing on a linux environment for new hardware a pain. its why i suffer myself on windows for a couple of months before migrating back to linux.
              Last edited by pieman; 24 January 2021, 03:29 AM.

Comment

I hoped it would be for x470/x570 chipsets.

Comment

I have a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master with an ITE IT8688E SuperIO and I'm really annoyed that it doesn't work and probably never will. Would've bought another board if I realized this before buying. I even wrote ITE a support ticket, but they said it's a specific design for a customer and they can't give out the datasheet - and Gigabyte told me they don't give the datasheet out to end users. Grmpf!

Edit:
                  there is even this discouraging bug report: https://github.com/lm-sensors/lm-sensors/issues/154
                  Last edited by mazumoto; 24 January 2021, 09:51 AM.

Comment

So, long story short, my PC died. Woke up and it acted like it wouldn't resume from a blanked monitor but I also wasn't able to Ctl+Alt+F# into another terminal either and had to hard reboot. According to the POST lights and testing with 3 processors, multiple SATA cables, a Linux and Windows boot drive, and 2 GPUs I thought it was either the motherboard or PSU so I ordered both. Hooked up a minimal setup and got the same POST lights on the new MB and PSU, only adding a 4th CPU to the testing since the motherboard came with a CPU in the slot. I guess I have bad ram? I just can't imagine that all six of my ram sticks died...
                    Since my stimulus check came in I have to ask if an X570 is worth it over a B550 just for PCIE gen 4. I've got the gist of a Ryzen 5 4650 Pro build dialed in and I'm wondering if the extra $50 would be worth it because ECC is damn expensive and $500 out of my ~$700 budget is the CPU and ram, but a Pro APU with ECC memory in a custom build, yes please. I'm typing this from a keyboard plugged into my Android TV where the arrow keys work as a mouse cursor and enter acts as primary click. I don't know how to line break enter yet.
                    This seemed like a decent place to ask since it's a motherboard article. Any idea WTF is up with my PC? The only thing I don't have extra to test is sticks of ram. Just curious at this point. I really wanted an extra year before upgrading...dammit...forced upgrades fscking suck. And, yes, I did the one stick of ram at a time thing. Spent the greater part of yesterday doing as many HW combinations as possible. And I don't have any actual Gen 4 hardware aside from the APU I plan on getting.
                    Line Break Paragraphs, LOL

Comment

Also, I have to point out the irony of starts with "So Long Story Short" followed by "Long Ass Story".

Comment

Working...
                      X