No announcement yet.

Linux 5.12 To Allow Voltage/Temperature Reporting On Some ASRock Motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.12 To Allow Voltage/Temperature Reporting On Some ASRock Motherboards

Phoronix: Linux 5.12 To Allow Voltage/Temperature Reporting On Some ASRock Motherboards

Voltage, temperature, and fan speed reporting among desktop motherboards under Linux remains one of the unfortunate areas even in 2021... Many SIO ICs remain publicly undocumented and the Linux driver support is often left up to the community and usually through reverse-engineering. Thus the mainline Linux kernel support is left to suffer especially among newer desktop motherboards. At least for Linux 5.12 some ASRock motherboards will begin seeing their voltage/temperature reporting now function...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...k-Some-Sensors

I would gladly pay someone to figure out ITE8528 in my QNAP...

Comment

Is a sad thing that major players in the market neglect hardware health monitoring this way. This is a thing that should have been standardized long ago.

And I'm not talking about only temps. Power is equally important. I have a Corsair PSU with a under-delivering 5V line and only a AM1 MSI mobo I have, bothered to mark it bright red on the BIOS that the thing was failing.

Comment

reverse-engineering or asrock support?

Comment

I'd like to know why the kernel maintainers reject reverse engineered sensor drivers. Are they that worried about HWINFO suing them or something? Where do they think HWINFO on Windows got the data? They likely ripped it out of the Gigabyte or ASUS motherboard drivers themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
            reverse-engineering or asrock support?
            Presumably someone tested it, found out it worked and whitelisted it like the commit states

Comment

A real shame Microsoft didn't mandate some standard ACPI/etc. interface for this stuff decades ago.

Comment

No confirmation for X570 Taichi? Been looking at that one for a while.

Comment

Yeah, SIO / ECs are about the worst topic. Back in the days things were just working. Today?
                  It seems to me that Günter Röck is about the only person and totally overloaded with work, and I really wonder WTF is so secret sauce and special about these SIOs these days that they go undocumented. It can't be some half-assed PWD fan driver, old things like PS/2 and COM and LPT, come on. Even battery charging can't be that rocket science like. I wonder what's wrong there.
                  But this is one main obstacle also for coreboot: CPU type supported, NB/SB (unless integrated anyway) supported, maybe even the very flash chip is fine w. flashrom, but the pesky SIO won't budge.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

My X570 Pro4 had this working since at least a year now, probably uses a different Nuvoton chip...

Comment

Working...
                    X