No announcement yet.

AMD Is Making Progress On Open-Source Firmware - Initially With OpenBMC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news if it ever comes about. If AMD wants to continue getting my money open source firmware will be a must. If they don't do it then my money will go to Risc-V or to Raptor.

Comment

Originally posted by Deetwenty View Post

That is because Google, Facebook, et. al. want full control over their devices and also control over our devices, so they want opensource firmware for themselves to be able to do that but prefer closed source for consumer devices since with opensource firmware it will be easier for consumers to bypass their control
      They want only the backbone as opensource so they can share the development effort but then gearing up these firmwares with all the blobs they need to spy on you and control your device...

Comment

If it could replace some shitty ipmi server management card, with buggy html5 remote console (supermicro for example), it could be great

Comment

Well, AMD had fairly good libre SW support, even Coreboot via Sage (iirc) in the past. So it would be great (and also beneficial for them) if they'd go libre again. O.t.o.h. in the past mainboard vendors still rather implemented a BIOS or UEFI. We need to convince these people, too. (Not sure how far MS-Windows relies on BIOS calls and the like these days.)
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

AMD should support libreboot: https://libreboot.org/amd-libre.html

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
              AMD should support libreboot: https://libreboot.org/amd-libre.html
              Wasn't Libreboot the one that had a major hissy fit and suddenly withdrew from the GNU project? I assumed that was dead (I certainly hope so)

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

Wasn't Libreboot the one that had a major hissy fit and suddenly withdrew from the GNU project? I assumed that was dead (I certainly hope so)
                The Feds don't like libre software (especially firmware because of CIA backdoors in MAJOR processors) so they put tons of trannies and other left-wingers to effectively neutralize it.
                Last edited by Laughing1; 03 December 2020, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  OpenBMC utilizes systemd and dbus, which is a very questionable direction for an embedded system
                  because embedded systems don't need to start services or use ipc?

Comment

AMD hand waves and makes overtures about OpenBMC, meanwhile they are shipping "Platform Secure Boot" for vendors like Dell that want to e-fuse CPUs installed in their servers for vendor lock in. https://www.servethehome.com/amd-psb...ity-at-a-cost/

Hopefully more data center and institutional customers demand openness, and resist OEM lock-in BS.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

Correct on the first part wrong on the second. It has activity of late:

copy of lbmk (libreboot make) but at the old repository URL. this is the automated build system used to provide libreboot releases. *please send pull requests to codeberg*, see: https://codeberg.org/libreboot/lbmk

Also Leah Rowe is back selling Libreboot laptops and is active again on the Trisquel forums:

Comment

Working...
                      X