Benchmarking The Raspberry Pi 400 - A Raspberry Pi Keyboard Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sdack View Post
    Then why not compare the Pi 400 to the Pinebook? It has got the same price ($99), but you'll get this instead:

That looks great! I was able to order a RPI 400 yesterday and it will be in my house in a couple days. When can I get a Pinebook? Oh....

Comment

Let there be a benchmark:

xonotic3d - pi-400 vs odroid c4 vs pinebook vs atomicpi ?

I would also like to see a samba+nfs file server backed by a usb hdd benchmark too, Please

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        Then why not compare the Pi 400 to the Pinebook? It has got the same price ($99), but you'll get this instead:

That is a pretty disingenuous comparison where you pretend the internals are the same. Yes, you get a display/speakers/trackpad/webcam. You also get a quad A53 with 2GB of RAM and several other downgrades. The PINEBOOK is going to be a dog in comparison, and I say this as the owner of a PINEBOOK Pro. The Pro is much more similar performance wise to thisRaspberry Pi 400, and getting a reasonably nice display/speakers/trackpad/webcam there costs twice as much as the full Pi 400 kit at $200. Pricing for all 3 devices is reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
          Neat... 100% 1980s homecomputer vibes.
          I rather see it as the future of low end work station solutions. In fact I've been promoting this idea for a couple of years now as in combo with a modern port like USB-C power delivery from a monitor it make for a real simple solution. A power delivery over Ethernet might be a good solution too.

The uplift in clock speed is nice, too. And the pricing seems good as well. It's about as much as you'd pay for a bare Raspberry Pi board, keyboard and heatsink plus case.
          Yes very decent pricing.

Which brings up the sad reality, the company best positioned to deliver a more robust solution in the near future is Apple. With their "A" series, support of modern ports and other technologies that they have, a keyboard based Mac would be easy to do. Performance would be rather good too, especially for many corporate desks. The problem is Apple would charge $1500 for it.

Comment

Notable lack of a cryptography benchmark and a 8GB RAM option but nice form factor.
            Last edited by elatllat; 02 November 2020, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by radeon View Post
              Wishlist:

- 8 GB RAM, ideally 16 GB (for me, modern CPUs are usually fast enough for any business application I'd do with a PC-in-a-keyboard, but RAM is quickly filled with a modern IDE, a browser with some tabs and a few PDFs open)
              More RAM is always nice. We can hope for an upgraded model once this launch gets underway.
              - Video over USB-C (would require major redesign) or at least standard-sized HDMI or DP, because Micro-HDMI appears so fragile to me..
              This is perhaps the second biggest miss by the the Raspberry PI team is the video solutions. USB-C would have been very nice to work with power delivery monitors. Further having two HDMI ports doesn't make much sense to me at all. First off the processor really doesn't have the performance to drive two monitors well. The bigger issue is that is is a keyboard, the more cables you have hanging off it the worse the usability on the desktop. Built into a kiosk those ports might be more useful but I don't think that is the intended market.
              Overall it's a great idea! I would recommend it to people who do just basic tasks like browsing and text editing.
              It is a fantastic Idea!! Such a board has all sorts of uses, you can slap one on your 3D printer build or make a self contained project.

By the way the thing that is the biggest mis to me is the use of SD for OS storage. This is one of the reasons I think Apple could do a great device like this as they have a built in Flash interface.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                ...PINEBOOK Pro...
                crypto speed is 655.6, vs the pi4 at 66.1 MBps. And not encrypting your storage is basically negligence.
                Last edited by elatllat; 02 November 2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
                  Notable lack of a cryptography benchmark and a 8GB RAM option but nice form factor.
                  The lack of a crypto benchmark is because they don't have the ARM crypto extensions in this chip, so it's very slow compared to even an A53 with the extensions--let alone something beefier.

You can look at https://github.com/ThomasKaiser/sbc-bench/blob/master/Results.md and see how similar boards fair. This will likely fit between an stock Rpi4 and an OC Rpi4.
                  machine AES 128 bit (16 byte blocks) AES 256 bit (16 byte blocks)
                  Rpi4 OC (1.85GHz A72 wo/crypto) 77230 80050
                  Odroid-C4 (2.0GHz A55 w/crypto) 195130 941590
                  Le Potato (1.4GHz A53 w/crypto) 96680 657200

Comment

Originally posted by radeon View Post
                    Wishlist...
                    - Video over USB-C (would require major redesign) or at least standard-sized HDMI or DP, because Micro-HDMI appears so fragile to me..
                    Yeah, I feel the same of this one. Have never felt good about the Mini or Micro HDMI stuff. Just a hunch.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

By the way the thing that is the biggest mis to me is the use of SD for OS storage. This is one of the reasons I think Apple could do a great device like this as they have a built in Flash interface.
                      AFIK, the RPi4 have support for OS installs on USB-3 storage for some time now. It is not M.2 nor internal solution, but for such low end hardware, the speeds available now are decent.

Comment

Working...
                      X