No announcement yet.

Benchmarking The Raspberry Pi 400 - A Raspberry Pi Keyboard Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been waiting for exactly this for years.
    I am glad they finally made it.
    I bought a pi-top, but is was very disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
      ... and a kit available with everything required: preloaded SD card, mouse, power supply, cables and a book/manual.
      That's hardly everything required, is it? It has no speakers and no display. And the kit will cost more than when one buys each of these extras separately.

It's like with rats - where some see a filthy, disease-carrying creature and a health problem do others only see a cute, little rodent. The Pi 400 looks cute as a single device when you hold it in one hand, but it's a far throw from what it looks like once you've set it up - it's a mess of cables again. And it has got WiFi and Bluetooth! Its specs look neat, too, but the concept of it fails at understanding the very reason why we have wireless technologies - it's to get rid of cables. So instead of ending up with a device that embraces the advances we've made over the last 2-3 decades and offers us something new like the home computers did (and this is why I say smartphones are more attractive), do you get an ugly, geeky mess that you'll find only in outdated server rooms these days. You don't see this as a failure?

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
        I'm sure this product will be successful: a popular application of the Raspberry Pi has been the cheap/basic desktop replacement, for certain applications, even with all the inconveniences associated with the SBC form factor. The new product caters to that niche and in fact makes the Raspberry Pi much more accessible for these use cases.
        Then why not compare the Pi 400 to the Pinebook? It has got the same price ($99), but you'll get this instead:

Comment

Nice! It remembers me the C64 era, however without decent games (apart emulation stuff) you cannot replicate the same success!

It is perfect for all the education stuff for kids and teens!

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
            Neat, but not "impossible" wow-factor.
            A fullsize keyboard would easily fit most laptop PCB:s nowdays.
            Ignore the battery and the screen and you could probably do a x86-normal-laptop inside a fullsize keyboard + fans.
            There were some models available about 7/8 years ago, but they faded away. Hopefully this RPi 400 will led to some new models. It will explode in popularity if Apple (ugh) did one.

Looks like there is at least one available in China, based on Intel's Atom:

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
              Woah it's a whole new PCB with all ports on one side! This is how I wish the Pi was by default. Having ports coming out of all four sides makes it too unwieldy for living room use, like a tangled octopus of cords. IMO this Pi 400 is worth it for the proper PCB layout alone.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                There were some models available about 7/8 years ago, but they faded away. Hopefully this RPi 400 will led to some new models. It will explode in popularity if Apple (ugh) did one.
                Indeed. That one is probably a bit old, minus cdrom and other cruft it would be perfectly doable.
                It would be a good replacement for the laptop that always was stationary anyway.
                That's usually how I do stuff today. I buy a laptop.
                99%+ of the time it runs with the lid closed, attached to a proper monitor, mouse, keyboard.
                Because for me, the builtin ones are a PITA anyway.

I'd be perfectly fine off with one if they did a keyboard PC that didn't cook my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

I
                  I'd be perfectly fine off with one if they did a keyboard PC that didn't cook my hands.
                  That is a good point.
                  I wonder how hot the keys get on the RPI-400.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

That is a good point.
                    I wonder how hot the keys get on the RPI-400.
                    It's called a "feature" :
                    - Hand warmer in winter.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                      Then why not compare the Pi 400 to the Pinebook? It has got the same price ($99), but you'll get this instead
                      Because the Pinebook is pretty much your standard ARM-style vapourware:

For example, try buying one and you will see... you can't.

https://pine64.com/product/11-6-pine...v=0446c16e2e66

The Raspberry Pi has its own sets of issues but at least they actually manufacture and sell hardware.
                      Last edited by kpedersen; 02 November 2020, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X