Benchmarking The Raspberry Pi 400 - A Raspberry Pi Keyboard Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking The Raspberry Pi 400 - A Raspberry Pi Keyboard Computer

Phoronix: Benchmarking The Raspberry Pi 400 - A Raspberry Pi Keyboard Computer

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is today announcing a new and unexpected single board computer: the Raspberry Pi 400. It's more of a single-keyboard computer that offers slightly higher performance than the Raspberry Pi 4.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Neat... 100% 1980s homecomputer vibes.

The uplift in clock speed is nice, too. And the pricing seems good as well. It's about as much as you'd pay for a bare Raspberry Pi board, keyboard and heatsink plus case.

Comment

looks great....

but, i'd love a version with a trackpad where a num-pad would normally sit.

Comment

While I appreciate the benchmarks, this review feels a little light on other content. Some things I was wondering about:

* Is it possible to open up the device? It looks like it's really a custom board in there and not a regular Pi 4 with breakout cables, but it'd be nice to have a look.
        * What's the weight like? Apparently despite the heatsink it still feels light enough to not make the reviewer suspicious that it was more than a keyboard?
        * What's the *keyboard* like? I'm not expecting anything great, but a basic comparison to laptop keyboards would be appreciated, especially since it'd be kind of stupid to hook up an external keyboard to this thing.
        * Does it have WiFi and bluetooth, and do they work well? With all the extra metal, one might worry about this.

Comment

Originally posted by zcansi View Post
          While I appreciate the benchmarks, this review feels a little light on other content. Some things I was wondering about:

* Is it possible to open up the device? It looks like it's really a custom board in there and not a regular Pi 4 with breakout cables, but it'd be nice to have a look.
          * What's the weight like? Apparently despite the heatsink it still feels light enough to not make the reviewer suspicious that it was more than a keyboard?
          * What's the *keyboard* like? I'm not expecting anything great, but a basic comparison to laptop keyboards would be appreciated, especially since it'd be kind of stupid to hook up an external keyboard to this thing.
          * Does it have WiFi and bluetooth, and do they work well? With all the extra metal, one might worry about this.
          Yup, agreed. Some more info would have been nice.
          Regarding the WiFi / BT, based on the specs, it does have it included.
          Raspberry Pi 400 is your complete personal computer, built into a compact keyboard. Featuring a quad-core 64-bit processor, 4GB of RAM, wireless networking, dual-display output, and 4K video playback, as well as a 40-pin GPIO header, it's the most powerful and easy-to-use Raspberry Pi computer yet.

Comment

This article is not loading for me from page 3 onwards... Did you make a page-breaking typo?

Comment

Nice, it looks like it's going to be a new board form factor.

The normal Pi overclocks to 2GHz with reasonable cooling, so the fact that this runs at 1.8GHz isn't surprising, although it's only a heatsink.

Shame I bought an 8GB Pi 4 a couple of months ago really, this would have been better in some ways. Still, that's hidden away, so no big deal. Just need a decent 10keyless bluetooth mechanical keyboard with multiple device selector (my mouse has this already).

Comment

Teardown: https://hackaday.com/2020/11/02/new-...yboard-for-70/

Comment

Wishlist:

- 8 GB RAM, ideally 16 GB (for me, modern CPUs are usually fast enough for any business application I'd do with a PC-in-a-keyboard, but RAM is quickly filled with a modern IDE, a browser with some tabs and a few PDFs open)

- Video over USB-C (would require major redesign) or at least standard-sized HDMI or DP, because Micro-HDMI appears so fragile to me..

Overall it's a great idea! I would recommend it to people who do just basic tasks like browsing and text editing.

Comment

Does it come with a 1970ies CRT output for my TV? ...joking aside nice product really got the vibe of the home computer era. Im sure ATARI, COMMODORE, etc Emulators will boom

Comment

Working...
                    X