Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• terrywang
    replied
    From a hobby project (to solve someone's own pain in the butt) to something that changed the industry, it's quite an accomplishment.

Thumbs up to Richard. Of course, thanks to Red Hat (paying the salary) and the Linux Foundation (for paying the CDN cost).

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Are you booting in CSM/legacy mode or UEFI mode?
    I boot in UEFI mode, but legacy mode support may also be enabled.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    What the hell are capsule updates? My Dell XPS 13 9343 says "UEFI Capsule updates not available or enabled" when trying to update the BIOS.
    Are you booting in CSM/legacy mode or UEFI mode?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My Logitech receiver remained on vulnerable firmware for years, until I installed fwupd and discovered by accident that a firmware update was available and that it fixed critical security bugs.

Also, I'd removed Windows entirely from my Thinkpad and only had Linux. The ability to install UEFI updates through Linux is awesome! I was actually suffering from that bug where the laptop wouldn't wake up from sleep sometimes when pressing the power button, and an update fixed it.

Much love and thanks to Richard, Logitech, Lenovo and all of the companies that uploaded firmware and helped develop fwupd/LVFS.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    DMESG shows several bugs about the firmware on my machine. Is there a way to fix these issues? thanks

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Hope to see Acer join the other vendors too, having to install Windows to update firmware is a bit ehhhh..

Seems they're in "Evaluating" status but have two devices supported, so that's something:

Leave a comment:

• hughsie
    replied
    Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
    ... but last I looked only one/two even suggested they were uploading anything.
    Have a look here: https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    How to know which motherboards are supported?
    Ask the vendors? The LVFS site shows that a few manufacturers are evaluating support, but last I looked only one/two even suggested they were uploading anything.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    I do have the same notebook, but LFVS is not supported by Dell for this model as far as I know. Or did this change?
    Dell has been pretty clear that it is their intention that recent devices are (or will be) supported, but older devices are not currently supported (and while they have not (or did not last I looked) stated it quite so explicitly, I suspect the answer is they never will add such support as after the sales of new hardware ends software support is a pure cost center, done primarily for business customers during the expected life cycle (around three-four years for laptops)).

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by hughsie View Post

It's an option in the system firmware. Just enable "Capsule Updates" and reboot back to Linux.
    Then I guess it's not exposed because I've looked everywhere inside the UEFI interface and I didn't find anything like that (UEFI version is A20, Dell XPS 13 9343)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X