No announcement yet.

LVFS/Fwupd Serve More Than 20 Million Firmware Downloads For Upgrades On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LVFS/Fwupd Serve More Than 20 Million Firmware Downloads For Upgrades On Linux

Phoronix: LVFS/Fwupd Serve More Than 20 Million Firmware Downloads For Upgrades On Linux

It was just earlier this summer that the Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) crossed 17 million firmware downloads while today the Linux hardware community is celebrating that already surpassing 20 million downloads!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How to know which motherboards are supported?

Comment

What the hell are capsule updates? My Dell XPS 13 9343 says "UEFI Capsule updates not available or enabled" when trying to update the BIOS.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        What the hell are capsule updates? My Dell XPS 13 9343 says "UEFI Capsule updates not available or enabled" when trying to update the BIOS.
        I do have the same notebook, but LFVS is not supported by Dell for this model as far as I know. Or did this change? Where do you get this error message?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          My Dell XPS 13 9343 says "UEFI Capsule updates not available or enabled" when trying to update the BIOS.
          It's an option in the system firmware. Just enable "Capsule Updates" and reboot back to Linux.

Comment

Too bad Samsung and Kingston won't provide SSD firmware updates via this utility. Still seem to require Windows Magician utility or burning some FreeDOS ISO images to USB keys.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              Too bad Samsung and Kingston won't provide SSD firmware updates .
              They do, but only for Lenovo branded drives. Tell them you want generic firmware on the LVFS too!

Comment

Too bad Corsair snd MSI don't support LVFS

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  Too bad Corsair and MSI don't support LVFS
                  The only way they'll provide updates is one of three ways:

* They get enough complaints from existing purchasers
                  * One of the OEMs say they have to provide updates otherwise they loose a contract / can't bid for a new contract
                  * One of the big customers (e.g. US government) say that they'll only buy hardware if they have uploaded firmware updates to the LVFS

I'd really advise sending them an email or opening a support case. One person complaining gets ignored, but hundreds of people complaining about the same thing tends to get an issue escalated to the right people.

Comment

Did we ever find out for sure, which company wanted users to click through a EULA?

(NB. please don't restart any discussion about that... I am just curious.)
                    Last edited by Veto; 28 September 2020, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X